6.5x55 build

Ralph Rupple

Hey guys, I've got a 6.5x55 swede in a rem.700 action I want to re barrel and re stock the action but I don't know what the best barrel length would be to get the most performance from the round, I do hand load any help would be appreciated thanks

Have you shot this barrel yet? Length of this barrel?

24 or 26" will work very nice with this caliber on a modern action.

Depends on intended use.

Occasional target shooting, hunting, walkabout rifle......prefer the light varmint/heavy sporter profile of the 24" variety.

Brand? There are multiple quality vendors.

im thinkig about a lite varmint Douglas barrell mcmillian htc stock and a jewel trigger,you seem to know what your talking about what do you think? this rifle will be for deer and hog hunting.

Have you shot the rifle you now have yet? You might only need to free float the barrel and glass bed the action in the stock. Rem. 700s usually shoot really well with this done. If you load the 6.5x55 to it's full potential which is with more powder than most manuals call for a 24" barrel will do fine. Most loading manuals limit their loads to under 46000 CUP which is the limit for the Small ring Mauser and Krag weaker actions. The Rem. 700 will handle much more. If you are going to replace the barrel get an 8" twist so you can take advantage of the 140+ gr bullets which will also shoot great with lighter bullets. I have a number of 6.5x55 small ring Mauser rifles, stock military, and one that has been sported that I have killed a bunch of deer with. This rifle was the Model 96 Swede and I left the 29" barrel alone. With the MAX loads of AA4350 from the Accurate manual which is under 46000 CUP I get 3000 fps with 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets and 2800 with 140 Sierra Game Kings. Both are extremely accurate and kill deer DRT with equal authority out to 500ish yards so far. In my opinion there are better barrels than Douglas for the same money but it is like an old gun smith told me once. "You can get a hummer from all the makers and you can get a lemon from them all. You pay your money and take your chance." Good Luck. As for stocks I have had good luck with HS Precision and Hogue full aluminum bedded stocks on two Rem 700 hunting rifles.

Yeah I have the rifle and yes it shoots great but the barrel is a 22 incher, but I'm gonna restock the gun to get a longer reach of pull so I thought I may as well do a build and get a longer barrel new trigger, kinda trick it out some I'm loading 46gr. Of AA4350. Under 129gr. Sst getting about 2800 or so witch ain't bad for a 22 inch barrel, and it kills hogs like the hammer of thor.

For a hunting rifle a 24" 1 in 8 would be as good as it gets. 26 inch bbl's are to long for tree stands and box blinds. Get a barrel with a muzzle diameter of .600 and up but no more than .700.

Check out this read

6.5x55

Good luck and shoot straight especially with the 6.5x55

Bob

My latest 700 cdl in 260 rem and a Mcmillan Game Scout I'd love one like it in the Swede

Attachments

• DSCN0444.JPG
    DSCN0444.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Ralph if you get a muzzle diameter over .650 I would consider getting it fluted. Good luck with your new build the Swede is a great round.

Shoot straight

Bob

Ralph,

I too have a Remmy 700 in 6.5 Swede. . .it is a 1994 700 Classic built on the long action and it sports a 22" barrel with an 8" twist. I have only fully glass bedded the action and had a trigger job done to it. It will consistently shoot 1/2 - 5/8 inch groups with my handloads and is a hell of a hunting rifle! My furthest shot with it was a Spring Bok in Free State, SA and it was a lazier ranged 463 meters. This rifle has accounted for a lot of African plains game including Gemsbok, Kudu and Black Wildebeest on the larger side and many Impala, Bush Buck and Spring Bok on the smaller side. Here in the States, Whitetails, Mulies, Pronghorns and countless feral hogs have crossed paths with my bullets with a deadly outcome! My sole pet load for most all my hunting with this round (95%+) has been the 140 gr. A-max in Lapua brass filled with 49.3 gr. H4831SC and Win. WLR primers. I know folks are going to poo-poo on the A-max for hunting, but that bullet is pure death in the 6.5 Swede. . .it was like they were meant for each other. I too have thought about tricking it out, but it just shoots too **** good. One day, if I do, it will likely be a 6.5 Swede IMP on a 26" tube of some sort. It is a awesome round and you'll have lots of fun with it. Good luck with your build and keep us updated on your progress.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.