6.5x47L Decisions

You'll love it. I have a heavy x47 built by RBros and liked it so much I built a lighter one. Trued Remington SA, 25" #3 fluted Benchmark, trigger tech, 5-25 Swarovski Z5. Sits at 8 lbs complete. I got my reamer from Manson but don't remember the free bore. I was shooting 130 Accubonds out if it for a couple years then switched to the 124 HH this past season. Both bullets have worked awesome. I've only run H4350 in both my guns. What are the particulars of your build? What will be the rifles main use? I built mine for hunting out of tree stands.

You'll love it. I have a heavy x47 built by RBros and liked it so much I built a lighter one. Trued Remington SA, 25" #3 fluted Benchmark, trigger tech, 5-25 Swarovski Z5. Sits at 8 lbs complete. I got my reamer from Manson but don't remember the free bore. I was shooting 130 Accubonds out if it for a couple years then switched to the 124 HH this past season. Both bullets have worked awesome. I've only run H4350 in both my guns. What are the particulars of your build? What will be the rifles main use? I built mine for hunting out of tree stands.

It will mainly be a deer rifle, but building with a SwitchLug so it can be utilized for other chamberings as well.

Bighorn Origin
WTO SwitchLug
22" Proof 1:8 barrel
TriggerTech Special trigger
McMillan Game Hunter w/Edge
APA DBM

1f9a214e481e763674479d0dcf75ac98.jpg

d0c7f591b715bd570332d8d80f8ce949.jpg

That's gonna be a sweat setup! I will say I was a bit hesitant to try the 124 HH and thought it was just hype. But they're the real deal. Load development took 8 shots. Steve told me to start off with my exact same 130 Accubond load. Did that and eight shots later had it dialed in and zeroed. Took a antelope buck at 200 yds and a big whitetail buck at 50 yds. Neither took a step. Incredible performance.

Have 3 done with same reamer. 135 Berger classics, 140 vld, 147 eld all shoot very well. Trying some 130 AR Hybrids soon. .170 FB. All fit magazines and hit lands.

That's gonna be a sweat setup! I will say I was a bit hesitant to try the 124 HH and thought it was just hype. But they're the real deal. Load development took 8 shots. Steve told me to start off with my exact same 130 Accubond load. Did that and eight shots later had it dialed in and zeroed. Took a antelope buck at 200 yds and a big whitetail buck at 50 yds. Neither took a step. Incredible performance.

Thanks! Yeah it's going to be nice. I've got several factory rifle customs, but this will be my first full blown custom. I figured if I'm going to do it, I should do it up right! I shot the 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids in my 260 Rem, and they did wonderful, and I figured I'd shoot them in this gun. I've been really impressed with info that I've gathered on the 124 HH, so I'm going to give them a go.

I have had several 6.5x47s over the years and burned out a couple barrels with the cartridge. I used 130s several years ago, but moved to the heavies. I use them for long range matches, but my son has used it for shooting some deer. We just used the ELD-M. From a 24" barrel with RL 16, I get 2820 with a 147 ELD and with Varget I get 2735.

I've always just used the standard freebore, and never used any of the chambers designed for certain bullets. I don't think there is a reason to limit yourself to the lighter weight bullets, but it is a choice and a preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.