6.5x47 to 6.5-06

What reamer do I need to change a 6.5x47 to 6.5-06, if I were to rent one

It appears that everyone so far has taken their smart-aleck pill this morning.

You do not need any specific reamer other than the standard 6.5-06 reamer. And since the 6.5-06 cartridge is not yet SAAMI approved, the only variances will come from individuals trying their own ideas out. Your choice of 6.5-06 specifies the use of '06 brass not the non-standard .270 brass. The only other one offered is the Ackley Improved unless you're after that chamber.

6.5-06 vs Ackley.jpg

One thought though is to check your throat and the number of shot fired so far. As suggested, with some throat wear, you may want to remove a portion of the chamber end of that barrel to alleviate some of the possible damage to the throat. I'm not suggesting the 4" above but starting with just the thread tenon if there is any damage. That 1" or so will allow the 6.5-06 reamer to clean up the remaining x47 chamber and give you a new throat. Be aware that some gunsmiths will not use their expensive reamer in a chamber that shows carbon build up as it will damage that reamer. 4D will charge you for any damage to their reamer also.

There could be other suggestions depending on the barrel you've chosen to change and the action you're using.

Good Luck!:)

Yes 4" was not needed in my case and I guess that wasn't clear. It started as a 26" long heavy barrel with room to turn down to 1.062 out 4". I also wish I would have got the reamer specific to making brass from .270 with the longer neck as I did have to turn .100" off each neck.

A 6.5-06 reamer is already going to clean up almost 3/4 of an inch in front of the 6.5x47 chamber.

so sounds like the standard 6.5-06 reamer is what i want, 3/4in should clean the throat pretty good
Yes if the barrel tenon is something that already fits your rifle. The 6.5-06 is a long action cartridge where the 6.5-47 is probably a short action. It also depends what brass you plan on using. 25-06 just expand to .264. To use 270 brass, you should either get the longer necked reamer to match that brass or plan on trimming them all a bunch. If you have access to a borescope, you might look at the throat for signs of fire checking before starting the project at all.

Gotcha I'll proly stick with a 6.5-06a2 then...and the reason I'm not going with something like the weatherby is brass availability(I have 100rds 25-06) and already have a 6.5 prc that's my hot rod, not saying I dont like the idea of the weatherby

You'll almost certainly need to set the shoulder back for a standard 6.5-06. If my memory serves correctly the lapua is slightly larger at a point than the taper in a standard case. You'll get an odd step ring in your fired brass if you dont clean it up. Like when rechambering a .308 to 30-06. The reamer wont quite clean up a 308 chamber so you have to set it back. I believe the ai chamber wouldn't require that. I'd look at the spec drawings to make sure your rented, bought reamer will clean up that lapua chamber

Edit: some roughing reamers can be used to make dies. Check with your reamer seller.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.