6.5x47 Lapua

a 30X47 Lapua makes for a very competitive HBR cartridge.

aha!! somebody's already done it! This tells me it's doable, and you start out with great quality cases. Now I need to start hunting around for a donor action. Rules also say it has to have a magazine well, so I'm thinking a Remington is the place to start (there is also a weight issue as well).
gary

Gary, the weight limit for a hunter class rifle with scope is 10 lbs and stock fore end cannot exceed 2.250" in width. You can get all of the requirements by going to the benchrest central web page the click on the IBS logo, then click on the download tab and download the IBS rule book, that way you can make sure your build meets all requirements. I started shooting Hunter class back in the early 80's and Remington actions dominated the field, today there are a number of custom Rem clones that would probably work better, just food for thought. Good Luck.

Gary, the weight limit for a hunter class rifle with scope is 10 lbs and stock fore end cannot exceed 2.250" in width. You can get all of the requirements by going to the benchrest central web page the click on the IBS logo, then click on the download tab and download the IBS rule book, that way you can make sure your build meets all requirements. I started shooting Hunter class back in the early 80's and Remington actions dominated the field, today there are a number of custom Rem clones that would probably work better, just food for thought. Good Luck.

Making weight is the critcal part. A Savage action is really a little too heavy even with the 6X scope. I was thinking that the actions had to be factory production, but guess I was wrong. I wish they get off the mag well issue as an older Remington XP would be a great action. Dollar and sense wise the custom clone would be way ahead of the game
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.