6.5x47 Lapua L/R hunting bullet

Old Coach

What bullets in 6.5 would be good for L/R hunting in a 6.5x47Lapua.
The rifle shoots targets great to 800+ with 130-140s.
I will use the rifle for deer across long fields.

Coach

Hi there,
My 6.5-284 F class rig has the ability to drop it into my Manners hunting stock, which I normally has my 338 Lapua in it so I got the urge see how well my 6.5 killed stuff. So I did the swap and loaded up some 140 gr AMaxes (Normally use 139 Senars) and went out yesterday to find some feral goats for curry.

We found a mob and got within 20 yrds of them, head shots only, lets just say oooh yuk! :rolleyes:huge holes, half heads etc but dead is dead! no surprise really.

Got the 6 piled up ready for the real work but on a face 455 yrds another nanny was still feeding, so clicked up, no wind, squeezed off ,a beautiful vapour trail appeared, smacked her like she was hit with a cinder block, one step, fell over! DRT!
I hardly had time to eject the case and other victim wandered around the corner on the same track after the shot, chambered another round, waited till she was standing over the last one wondering what had happened to her, squeezed off, took a step, fell over DRT!

Sooo after all that, 6.5x47 is only about 40 FPS behind my 6.5-284(I dont run it hard) but still at 2920 fps so the 140 AMax works well on light skinned game
and Im sure the 140 Berger Hunting VLD would be just as good.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.