6.5x47 Lapua Bullets on a Budget

KHump

I'm working on putting together a 6.5x47 over the next several months and currently rounding up reloading components. I've shot a very similar replica of my gun build with IMR 4166, Lapua brass, CCI small rifle benchrest primers, and Hornady 130 ELD-Match. At 100 yards I was able to narrow down to near 3 bullets in the same hole. My question is, how do these 130 ELD-M's perform at 600 to 1000 yards vs say a Berger or JLK? And is paying nearly 50% more per bullet to shoot a Berger or JLK for fun/practice, not competition shooting, really worth it? Are the ELD-M's good enough or are there any red flags to be worried about? Also, anyone have experience hunting deer with this bullet at various distances?

The 130 eldm at x47 speeds will work on deer. Another bullet option is the 140 match burner from Barnes. The BC is as advertised on the 112 and and 145, so I imagine the 140 has to be close as well. They're cheap to boot, 25¢ per bullet if you get a box of 500.

I've taken them out to 1000 yards with no problems with my 47. I haven't shot Bergers through this gun so I can't say if they were better or worse. I'm running them at 2825 ft/s. It sounds like you have a solid load down so I would take it out to a 1000.

Good luck!

I can't comment on the eldm as I've never used them. I do have two 6.5x47's. One shoots the 130 vldh the other a 124 HH. Both have been spectacular on whitetail. Both use H4350 and CCI 450. Don't try to save $$ on bullets. It's really one the cheapest parts of our hobby. But I do agree at x47 velocities they should work. Try a few different bullets and let the gun decide what it likes.

I'm working on putting together a 6.5x47 over the next several months and currently rounding up reloading components. I've shot a very similar replica of my gun build with IMR 4166, Lapua brass, CCI small rifle benchrest primers, and Hornady 130 ELD-Match. At 100 yards I was able to narrow down to near 3 bullets in the same hole. My question is, how do these 130 ELD-M's perform at 600 to 1000 yards vs say a Berger or JLK? And is paying nearly 50% more per bullet to shoot a Berger or JLK for fun/practice, not competition shooting, really worth it? Are the ELD-M's good enough or are there any red flags to be worried about? Also, anyone have experience hunting deer with this bullet at various distances?
I shoot the 147 ELD's in my x47, partially due to finding them on sale at .30 apiece but mostly because they shoot so well out to 1000. Running them just over 2700 with R16 with a 24" tube. My first time shooting them at the local range (Dead Zero), the first three shots landed within 4 inches of each other. Shots 4 and 5 opened up a bit though. Was that me, the wind or the bullet? They are probably not as consistent as a Berger or JLK, but I'm just having fun with mine, so who cares? A hit on steel is a hit on steel, and the extra money for premium bullets is hard to justify. I think if you're gun is able to shoot them accurately the ELD's are the best value going for long range shooting.

Hey Beeman,
What kinda of speeds are you getting with the 124 HH?
Thanks
I can't comment on the eldm as I've never used them. I do have two 6.5x47's. One shoots the 130 vldh the other a 124 HH. Both have been spectacular on whitetail. Both use H4350 and CCI 450. Don't try to save $$ on bullets. It's really one the cheapest parts of our hobby. But I do agree at x47 velocities they should work. Try a few different bullets and let the gun decide what it likes.

I understand the need to reduce cost on anything, but everyone once in awhile you have to splurge to get that feeling like I don't think it can get better.

Hammer Hunter 110 in 6.5X47
3048 FPS

ED66041E-FDBD-4856-8D0A-92885E65FB2C.jpeg

Last edited:
I've taken them out to 1000 yards with no problems with my 47. I haven't shot Bergers through this gun so I can't say if they were better or worse. I'm running them at 2825 ft/s. It sounds like you have a solid load down so I would take it out to a 1000.

Good luck!
Are you seeing the BC's match to those you would pull from Applied Ballistics App for that bullet or are you making decent calibration changes out at 700-1000 yards?

I've been running with TRASOL and I think I had to bump my speed up about 50ft/s to get numbers to line up from 700-1000 yards. Otherwise, I think I was about .3 MILs low. I can check my data book later

You won't have any issue with eldms at 1000 yards. Myself and several friends run these in matches. I've shot the 147 into 3 inches with 10 shots in a match. It was the second smallest group of the yr at Williamsport. 6.5 Creed at 2850. Just sort them into a few piles. I buy them in the 2000 box. They are cheap, accurate and kill good on deer.
Shep

You won't have any issue with eldms at 1000 yards. Myself and several friends run these in matches. I've shot the 147 into 3 inches with 10 shots in a match. It was the second smallest group of the yr at Williamsport. 6.5 Creed at 2850. Just sort them into a few piles. I buy them in the 2000 box. They are cheap, accurate and kill good on deer.
Shep
That's great to hear! I hope the 130's are up to that same standard, which they should be. Where do you find the 2000 box? I haven't come across that in my shopping yet...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts