6.5x47 Lapua barrel choice

BUNDUKI

i am having a 6.5x47lapua built as a hunting rifle and need to decide on what barrel to go with as the smith has the following to chose from Kreiger/Broughton 5C/ Bartline gain twist.
i have had good results with the kreiger's in the past but the other two intrest me as they claim to produce higher velocity than conventional designs.
the twist rate for all of them is 1:8 barrel lenght will be 24"
any advise would be much apreciated as i have to decide by monday.

I have all three mftrs and you cannot go wrong with any of them. I would consider the delivery timeline compared to when you want the gun built.

I would decide also if you want to shoot the 140s or the 130s as the throating on the reamer will be different for each of them.

many are using the Berger or JLK 130s very successfully in lieu of the 140s.

I am building a 6.5x47 now with throating for the 130s. Dave Tooley action, Kreiger 8.7 twist and cut to 28 inches, Stocky Hart LR stock with Wyatts bottom metal and detach magazine. I bought this barrel off the internet as it was available now and fit my plans.

I am using a PTG no neck turn, min SAAMI reamer throated for 130s.

BH

thanks bountyhunter
the smith has them all in stock!!!! so delivery isnt an issue
i was thinking of using 130nab and bergers or will the throating be very diferent for them?
as i am having the barrel cut to 24" would the gain twist or R5 rifleing offer any velocity advantage?

a quick measurement of base to ogive for both and then OAL will tell the overall difference if any in seating at the base of the neck and will the COAL fit in the magazine.

Doubt you will see that much difference.

Plus will those measurements match his reamer?

BH

I had Chris Matthews of LongShot rifles Long Range Hunting Rifles from Long Shot Rifles Custom Built Rifles build my tactical rifle back in December. It has a 26" SS Krieger, 1:8.5 barrel on it. It's an absolutely tack driver. My load of 40.3 gr H4350, 130 VLD's and CCI 450's never goes more than .6 MOA; more like .3 to .4 MOA.

I decided to have Chris build me another 6.5x47 but a light weight hunting version and he suggested a Broughton 5C 1:8 twist in #3. I ordered a 3.1 which is nothing more than a 26" finished length. So I called Tim North @ Broughton and he is taking care of me. I thought I'd have to go with a #4 because of the desired 26" finished length until Tim suggested the #3.1 which is not listed on their web site.

Good luck with your build and let us know what you come up. Better yet, post pics when you get it.

Alan

I am also building a 6.5x47 Lapua for hunting and I am using a Mike Rock 5R barrel 24" long. Any of the barrels you listed would work. I would recommend the 5R or 5C for its extra benefits, more velocity, easier cleaning. I will be shooting Berger 130 hunting VLD's. Reamer is Pacific Tool #9818 specifically for 120 to 130's. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS CARTRIDGE!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.