6.5x47 and Berger 156 grain EOL bullets

6.5deerhunter

I want to deer hunt with these bullets in south Texas. My shots won't be over 250 yards and most under 150. I want to see if anyone has any reloading data for these bullets. My rifle has a 26 inch Shilen barrel with 1-8 twist. I know these bullets are probably overkill for a deer but, I want to use them. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I have two 6.5x47's but have never tried that heavy of a bullet. I did try 147 eldx but didn't like the velocity. I have a heavier gun for practice which shoots the 130 Berger hunting at 2950 FPS. My light carry/tree stand gun shoots the 124 Hammer Hunter at 2938 FPS. I'm in Canada but have hunted Texas. I'd recommend staying with a 130-140 gr in the x47. I used my 6.5x47's in Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Both bullets worked exceptionally. I did also run the 130 Accubond for a year which also performed good. Not what you wanted to hear but I think the 6.5x47 performs best with 123-130 gr projectiles. For your intended distances I'd look into the new 123 Absolute Hammer.

My 24" long freebore creedmoor with an 8tw will get 2750fps w/ them with a stout load of rl26 in lapua brass. With the reduced capacity and shorter freebore of the X47 2650 fps will likely be max. Berger stability has you borderline to unstable at those speeds. Get a cool winter day with the low TX altitude and you might be sideways at 100y.

Last edited:
I like them in my 6.5-284 but thinking it may be a bit much for the 6.5x47. Having great luck with the 140 vld in the lapua for many years.

I have to agree with the rest 140 and under in the 6.5 lapua and for the range you speak of the sierra 130 hpbt gameking is my favorite

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.