6.5x300 worth getting?!?

Us869 had huge es for me and my rifle didnt like it. It didnt have either the accuracy or the speed that other folks were gettin.
RL26 was accurate but slow. Same with H1000. IMR 7977. also tried Magpro, and Magnum, RL23 and 2 lbs of 869 because thats what all the articles said THE powder for it. Not in mine tho.

LRT is slower than ideal at 3385 but the accuracy is there so i kept it there and ran it. 88. Id start at 84 n work up.

I have a buddy who has a 6.5x300 Weatherby with a nice Trijicon Aimpoint and like 10 boxes of ammo I believe 123 A frame it's been a while can't remember. Anyway he wants to sell me the whole rig really well priced. I don't need the gun but it's a system already and has less than 50 shots. So given this scenario is the gun worth investing even though I know it's barrel burner I have lots more than enough guns to keep me busy so likely I won't use it a much. Thoughts or feedback on this?
Sounds like a deal!!!

I bought a Remington 788 chambered in 30-30 last week. Do I need it? No, Did I want it? yes. So Buy it, keep it in the safe, trade or sell later. With ammo getting hard to find, you may have a great investment.

Ace
When I was a kid I worked in a gunshop after school. Once of my jobs was to zero guns we had mounted scopes on. I remember zeroing a 788 30/30, factory ammo, 5 shoots went into 1/2 group. Will never forget that.

I to worked in a gunshop when was in college and I would come in after hours strip and clean what had come to be repaired. I spent many an hour standing at the buffing wheel trying to get all the pits out of a barrel or a frame and I don't miss that anymore. Have been toying with the idea of building some Low Wall and High Wall Single shot rifles in 30-06, 308, and 284 using their cases to stuff anything from a .22 - .416 in them and see if the fly. I am thinking hard about a 30-30 AI with a 28" barrel and 1:11 twist throwing 155 grains pills out the end. Maybe I just ream out the 788 and make it a Ackley.

Ace

I to worked in a gunshop when was in college and I would come in after hours strip and clean what had come to be repaired. I spent many an hour standing at the buffing wheel trying to get all the pits out of a barrel or a frame and I don't miss that anymore. Have been toying with the idea of building some Low Wall and High Wall Single shot rifles in 30-06, 308, and 284 using their cases to stuff anything from a .22 - .416 in them and see if the fly. I am thinking hard about a 30-30 AI with a 28" barrel and 1:11 twist throwing 155 grains pills out the end. Maybe I just ream out the 788 and make it a Ackley.

Ace
You never know what may work! The only thing really ever wrong with the 30/30 was the bullet, to a degree that has been fixed. I like your idea of improving it, I assume with a 40 degree shoulder. I built a 280 ai a while back, one of my favorites now and it has turned my 7 mag into a safe queen. I am a 270 freak , have 3 and another one at Hart waiting on a barrel, it is for my wife.

The thing the 788 story gets me is it had rear locking lugs of all things. I wish you luck with your project.

Tim

Tim,
When I was at the range a gentlemen ask me if I could help him sight in his 280 AI he had picked up from the Shop. I shot it an made some corrections and soon had him banging steel plates at 600 yards. I was very impressed with the round and may consider it for another build.

The 788 has been my go to for a long time, though I have several custom builds I always have one behind the seat in the truck. The 308 will do 1/2 MOA or better and the 243 is not far behind it. While the 222 will punch one ragged hole, now that I have the 30-30 I need to find the 44 mag. to complete my collection.

I hope that when I am gone that someone will enjoy them as much as I have and maybe another generations will discover just how well they shoot.

Ace

Tim,
When I was at the range a gentlemen ask me if I could help him sight in his 280 AI he had picked up from the Shop. I shot it an made some corrections and soon had him banging steel plates at 600 yards. I was very impressed with the round and may consider it for another build.

The 788 has been my go to for a long time, though I have several custom builds I always have one behind the seat in the truck. The 308 will do 1/2 MOA or better and the 243 is not far behind it. While the 222 will punch one ragged hole, now that I have the 30-30 I need to find the 44 mag. to complete my collection.

I hope that when I am gone that someone will enjoy them as much as I have and maybe another generations will discover just how well they shoot.

Ace
Ace
280AI is almost like a mini big 7mag less the recoil. Mine is in a sako action, select match barrel and a pacific research, now Borden stock. I had to make cases as it was still a wild cat then. I do love the rifle.

I see very few788s any more

Ace
280AI is almost like a mini big 7mag less the recoil. Mine is in a sako action, select match barrel and a pacific research, now Borden stock. I had to make cases as it was still a wild cat then. I do love the rifle.

I see very few788s any more
Tim