6.5x300 WBY ?

Hello Don Parsons, A name from the past we shot togerther at Williamsport way back in the 60-70, Devitos shot the 7mm300 .did quite well,I owned the Black Forest Campgrounsd on rt 44,Slate Run Not many long range hunter there,Lowell Amand myself and a few other, we just to old to go getem,

Hello Don Parsons, A name from the past we shot togerther at Williamsport way back in the 60-70, Devitos shot the 7mm300 .did quite well,I owned the Black Forest Campgrounsd on rt 44,Slate Run Not many long range hunter there,Lowell Amand myself and a few other, we just to old to go getem,
I believe Jack might be the name.
We never met by ive heard about you from Lowell.
He recently moved to a new place in Lititz, sort of a retirement type place where they do all the maintenance. It has a walkout basement with a very long view, so he can just wheel the big glass outside and check them out. Same phone number.
He still finds a way to crawl up to that lookout near Letonia, and they have been doing quite well. #1 hall of famer and i had dinner in the Black Forest Inn on the first day year before last season. The place was empty, I'm sure you could have picked the room you wanted. Lowell was the only one staying at the Slate run Hotel. Yet their bitching about no ARs or Sunday hunting.

Yep Jack Lyons, I still glass with his nephew as I suffered a stroke , I hunted with Amand several years in the lookout .Can climb much anymore and there are not to much to see anymore, we seen the best of times up there, and I turned to getting the Grandslam of Sheep. Bob Zug his neph to me he moved,, Thanks for the reply small world God BLess

Weatherby sells loaded ammunition for the 6.5/300 Wby - they may sell formed brass as well. They used to have all their brass made by Norma, but I don't know who their source is now.

I've heard it said that both the Weatherby and the STW 6.5's are a death ray. It would seem to me that one would be just as good as the other. The throat of the Weatherby may have a lengthy free-bore, if that's a consideration. Some guys like that, while others don't. I don't have an opinion on it, one way or the other.

You're correct on a couple of counts; Weatherby is selling 6.5 brass, and the 6.5 Wby is a death ray.

Caveman ,,, one of my very first wildcats was a 7mm/300 WBY and it was a very good hunting cartridge, so I think the 6.5/300 WBY wildcat would be similar ,,,, good 130-140gr hunting bullet ought to just knock the snot out of the overrated 6.5 Creedmore ,,,

You'll get less barrel life with the 6.5/300 than you would with another 300 bee.
Consider a 270 bee if you want something different.
I have one coming and have no concerns about barrel life. It is what it is, the fastest, flatest 6.5. You pay extra for that. I have heard 1000 rounds. Like you said if you take care of it and do not wind it out all the time, it may last longer. Plus it's a hunting rifle. Who cares. A Lazer beam on steroids and very accurate.

Here's the question from the original post : "Question is what kind of life will I get out of the new barrel." I think this guy dealt with that rather handily, stating that he should expect to get somewhat less barrel life than he got with his 300 Weatherby. Did I miss something here ???
Barrel life about 1000 rounds.

I've finally shot the barrel out of my 300wby and am planning on changing it to a different cal. I am leaning toward 6.5x300 since the smithing will be minimum. Question is what kind of life will I get out of the new barrel. I'm not going to try to max out for speed, I'll probably stick close to my proven H1000 loads.
With your bolt face and action length you can choose just about any current magnum cartridge. The only thing people that have a 6.5-300 have told me is it was hard to get the accuracy out of it they wanted. Speed was no issue. The claim their rifles were finicky and reacted poorly to small changes in things like powder loads, neck tension, and bullet seating depths etc. If I had been happy with a 30 cal mag I might stay with a 30. The new 30 Nosler and 300 PRCs are great new designs. The 28 Nosler is another great new cartridge that people rave about on accuracy. With the PRC you'd need to verify you have or can have your mag long enough.

If you want a hot rod build a 6.5-300 WBY! It will put a smile on your face every time you touch the trigger. If your worried about barrel life a 6.5 RPM may be worth looking at.

By going 6.5/300 you are limiting yourself to a very small selection of light 150 gr. and lower bullets. If that's what you want then just load lighter bullets in a new .300 barrel and still have the option to shoot heavies when needed. My 300 Mark V accumark is getting close and I'm just going to put a better barrel on it. Weatherby has teamed up with Kreiger and my barrel is ordered. I also bought two new 6.5 rifles this year....TO SHOOT 6.5.....just me my friend!
If I had to re-barrel a Weatherby I would not send it back to them. They are running way behind 6 to 9 months. I sent an action to Hart over a year ago, no word. So patience is the key. Still waiting on my 6.5 I got through BHA 2 months now, no word.

If your convinced you need a hot rod 6.5, you need look no further than a 6.5 x 300 Wetherby with a long enough barrel to get max performance.
But also remember that it was a very popular cartridge over 50 years ago among long range hunters in PA.
And today you wont be finding any being used there.
When you can equal the velocity with 160 class bullets in 7mm you should be able to see why that is the case.

I've finally shot the barrel out of my 300wby and am planning on changing it to a different cal. I am leaning toward 6.5x300 since the smithing will be minimum. Question is what kind of life will I get out of the new barrel. I'm not going to try to max out for speed, I'll probably stick close to my proven H1000 loads.
Stay with the 300.... very good round...

If your convinced you need a hot rod 6.5, you need look no further than a 6.5 x 300 Wetherby with a long enough barrel to get max performance.
But also remember that it was a very popular cartridge over 50 years ago among long range hunters in PA.
And today you wont be finding any being used there.
When you can equal the velocity with 160 class bullets in 7mm you should be able to see why that is the case.
Roy actually built 5 of these 6.5x300 initially and gave one to Herb Klein. At the time he was really interested in the 257 and it won out. Grandson Adam is responsible for putting the 6.5x300 in the line. It was a popular 1000 yard gun as well.it