6.5x300 wby bullet?

LkHntr

Hello
so I'm looking for opinions on what bullet to load for my friend,he rebarreled his mark v to 6.5x300 wby 1in9 inch twist,

He wants it mostly for long range fun maybe some hunting thanks!

With the already mentioned twist limitations in place I think the Nosler 130 RDF warrants attention. I don't know if anyone's used them hunting but for long range fun it should be perfect and has a really good B.C., affordable, available to purchase over the counter, not a custom thing.

The other route is to go stupid fast with lightweights and make a max point blank beast! Depending on how far he actually plans to shoot this might be most gratifying.
4000 feet per second with the Barnes 100 ttsx or a tad slower with a Sierra 107 smk should be possible and the slower twist will probably see better accuracy with these.
kind of makes me think "what the .257 weatherby wants to be when it grows up :) )

130gr Berger AR Hyrbids or 135gr Classic Hunters. Both will work in a 9 twist and be about the best bullets for that twist.

you are correct that and a little more fps with the 6.5-300 might work just fine only one way to tell

Aye Sir!

ADDED: Just ran these ...

140 Berger 6.5-300 WBTY at 3333 altitude.JPG

(Range altitude)

140 Berger 6.5-300 WBTY at 6000 altitude.JPG

(Average hunting altitude)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between 1-8 and 1-9. The 140s will be going pretty fast, I shoot 140 class bullets out of a 1-9 creed just fine. I wouldn't waste my time in a 6.5-300 with anything less than a 140 unless it was a Barnes lrx

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between 1-8 and 1-9. The 140s will be going pretty fast, I shoot 140 class bullets out of a 1-9 creed just fine. I wouldn't waste my time in a 6.5-300 with anything less than a 140 unless it was a Barnes lrx
In my rifles (8 twist) I shoot either nosler ablr or eld m maybe I don't have to worry about twist so much, nothing like loading and seeing what happens!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.