6.5x284 vs 7mmWSM

Rogue

Looking to build a rifle for Antelope and Deer. I hunt Antelope in the Grasslands of eastern Colorado. Shots can range from 50 yards out to and past 1000 yards. My longest kill to date was at 550 yds with a 300WM. Deer are hunted in northwestern Colorado.

I have a XR-100 in 22-250. Am wanting to use the singleshot action to build a new gun. I want a rifle that can take Antelope out to 1000 yards. Don't want alot of damaged meat. Yes, I know; Shot placement! Don't like the recoil on the 300WM.

I have done plenty of reading on both the 6.5x284 and the 7mmWSM. Sounds like either would fit my needs. Just wanting your input.

From what I have been able to figure out, the WSM has a little more recoil, but about a 1 MOA advantage in the wind.

Have you read this?

7mm Cartridge Guide

As you go down in the article, there is even a short 6.5-.284 vs 7MM WSM blurb.

Bill

Yes. Have read the articles on the 7mm's and on the 6.5x284. There is more info on the 6.5x284. Sounds like there is better brass for the 6.5 but it would be more exspensive to reload.

Unless you plan to shoot 1,000 's of rounds per year, the brass cost should not be the deciding factor. Since you are planning on a single shot, feeding is no concern. (I have serval WSM's and all are a little difficult to chamber the sceond round). I think if you are going to muzzle brake the gun get the 7WSM, if not get the 6.5X284. If you want a lighter barrel on the rifle I would choose the 6.5X284. Either should serve you well, but for 1,000 yard kills I would prefer the 7WSM!

If you don't want to use a muzzle break then I would go with the 6.5-284. I don't think that the 7WSM would be a big enough gain in recoil comfort for you over your 300WM. If you want a little more payload than the 6.5-284 you may consider the the .284. If you can't decide between the two than it just may be the compromise you are looking for.

I think either will carry enough energy to put down an Antelope.

A few years ago I tore my right AC Joint (Shoulder). Recoil bothers it a bit but not enough to affect this decision.

I guess, my bottom line guestion comes down to accuracy. Which shoots better?
The Grasslands can get windy at times.

I have several 6.5x284's from competition rifles to sporters and I love the round. The talk of short barrel life is just that talk. For 99% of hunters the tube life of a 6.5x284 will be the same as the WSM series of cartridges. A bore scope will tell you that many folks who think the barrel is shot out will find that it is just fouled to death!!

The above being said my Krieger tube was chambered last week in 6.5 WSM and the flutes are being cut now. Love to tinker with new things!!!!

I have both calibers and both will shoot 1/2 moa or less. The 7WSM has a slight energy advantage at 1000 yards. It may be easier to sell the 7WSM (if that time ever comes) since commercial ammo is easily available.

With your shoulder condition I would put a brake on either gun. Good luck with which ever you choose!

I like them both even though I do not have a 7WSM. For deer/antelope you can really just flip a coin, but don't make the mistake of choosing a short action if you are building a 6.5x284. This is a 3.10 cartridge. The short action is a 2.80.

I would also take a serious look at the 6.5WSM mentioned. I have a Krieger 7mm bbl in my safe. It is stainless with a 9 twist. Not sure what it will be but the 7WSM has been a consideration. Also looking at the 7mm Dakota. Knowing me, I'll likely just build another 7 Rem Mag though.

I like the 130 accubond for the 6.5

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.