6.5x284 velocity problems

rshcwisdom

I just had two 6.5x284 rifles built, everything is the same except one barrel is a Hart and one barrel is Krieger. Both 26" plus brake sendero contour. 1in8 twist. The issue I am having is with the exact same load the Hart barrel is shooting 2900 fps and the Krieger is 2730 fps. The krieger is also showing pressure signs with pretty moderate loads. I called Krieger this morning and they are saying it sounds like a chambering problem. The guns were chambered back to back with the same reamer. If anyone with more knowledge than me has an idea please let me know.

Thanks Rich

They were chambered with the same reamer but the rifling wasn't cut with the same equipment and it doesn't take much difference in that process to influence rifle performance. If one rifle is showing pressure signs and the other is not it seems to me that there must be come difference in the chambering, regardless of the fact that the same reamer was used. In your situation I'd make a mold of the chambers and compare the results to be certain.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.