6.5x284 velocity, bullet selection

bar63

This is a general question to the membership. My 6.5x284 rifle chrono's @ 2950 with140 Bergers. I am thinking of setting up one of my XP 100 to this cartridge. Would 2650 be a reasonable expectation?

What other bullets have you had good results with?
Nosler Ballistic Tips are the bullet of choice in my 309 JDJ.

Thank you for the info.

RT2506

I don't have a 6.5X284 but looking at the loading manuals and looking at a smaller case capacity 6.5X55 Swede using a 18" barrel it will do 2600 fps with 140 gr bullets so you should be able to do 2650 fps easy with a 18" barrel and maybe even a 16" with the 6.5X284.

Ernie

SPONSOR
This is a general question to the membership. My 6.5x284 rifle chrono's @ 2950 with140 Bergers. I am thinking of setting up one of my XP 100 to this cartridge. Would 2650 be a reasonable expectation?

What other bullets have you had good results with?

Thank you for the info.
Yes.
The 130 Bergers and the 140 A-Max are good choices also

ak1251

I've been shooting my 6.5x284 for about a year now and have had great luck with Hornady 140 gr SST @ 2875 fps. I built this load for the barrel brake in and right from the start it shot under .250 MOA out to 300 yards. I tried the Berger 140, but had no luck at all with them. So i've stuck with the SST and Sieria 140 BTHP. Both @ 2875 fps. The really strange thing is the point of inpact is the same out to 880 yards.

bar63

I've been shooting my 6.5x284 for about a year now and have had great luck with Hornady 140 gr SST @ 2875 fps. I built this load for the barrel brake in and right from the start it shot under .250 MOA out to 300 yards. I tried the Berger 140, but had no luck at all with them. So i've stuck with the SST and Sieria 140 BTHP. Both @ 2875 fps. The really strange thing is the point of inpact is the same out to 880 yards.
It would seem to me that if you are in an XP and geeting that speed, it would take 4350 or faster powder.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce