6.5x284 question

Cmabbott04

hello all,

Loaded up my first rounds of 6.5x284 with Hornady 143 eldx and 55.5 grains of Retumbo. My coal is 2.915 with a case trim length of 2.159. When I seat my bullets I am getting a crunch so I know that I am compressing the load. I have never loaded compressed before and am a newer Reloader so just want to ask opinions if I should have any concerns or am needlessly nervous. Thanks for your inputs!

Retumbo generally gives 100% case fill in the SAAMI spec, 6.5x284 in the 56-58gr charge weight range dependent on bullet seating depth, and the particular rifle throat/leade. No need to be nervous about the crunch unless you have pressure signs, or you experience bullet seating issues. If your COAL is at 2.915" to accommodate a short action rifle, your charge weight will be less. I personally load to a slight/no crunch level which is 57-58gr.in my LA rifles. I'm curious what your base to ogive measurement is. Your COAL of 2.915" would indicate that the ELDX is pretty far down in the case, explaining why your hearing a crunch at 55.5gr. Using the 143ELDX in my long action 6.5x284's, my COAL run 3.1-3.2" when seated .020"-.050" off the lands. A slight crunch isn't experienced until charge weights get to +58gr of Retumbo. Check your BTO measurement. If it is shorter then the SAAMI specs by .1"-.2" your charge weights will be less to reach 100% case fill.

Last edited:
A very slow powder pour through a drop tube can serve to reduce powder column height, so that you may not be crunching bullets in anymore.
This can be important for MV SD as well because powder packed in this manner, and still filling, won't shift in fill density as ammo is transported/handled/loaded various ways. It's a truer fill%.
Just be sure to load develop with this method applied

Thanks for the detailed response! My ogive is 2.930 but honestly my ability to "find" the lands and grooves is still spotty and I am not extra confident in this measurement

I use QuickLOAD software when setting up a load. According to it, your load is 105.5%. You would have to step back to 53.0G and that should be 100.5% w/ OAL of 2.915 w/ 143ELDX. RL23 would give you a lot better MV though. And it's very temp stable also. Retumbo will give you approx. MV of 2600FPS(no pressure issues) from 26" barrel where as RL23 can get you 2880MV(pushing peak pressures) at 100%. You would definitely need to work up to this due to pressure. I would start at 49G on RL23 and work up.
I just like to obtain high but safe MV and catch the node for accuracy. Hope this helps.

I will have to try this software out...

I just remeasured and am going to go with a 3.140 ogive and 3.125 coal. I think this should fix my compression issue.

Do you have a short or long action?? Your COAL seems very short, even for a short action. I know Nosler factory ammo with the 130 or 140 bullets has a COAL of 2.980", so I would assume you could get at least that COAL without being into the lands. How did you determine your COAL??
I don't like having compressed loads if I can avoid it. I drop tube will help or you can get the powder to settle by vibrating the case full of powder by holding the case full of powder against your media tumbler when running.

I use QuickLOAD software when setting up a load. According to it, your load is 105.5%. You would have to step back to 53.0G and that should be 100.5% w/ OAL of 2.915 w/ 143ELDX. RL23 would give you a lot better MV though. And it's very temp stable also. Retumbo will give you approx. MV of 2600FPS(no pressure issues) from 26" barrel where as RL23 can get you 2880MV(pushing peak pressures) at 100%. You would definitely need to work up to this due to pressure. I would start at 49G on RL23 and work up.
I just like to obtain high but safe MV and catch the node for accuracy. Hope this helps.
While I have used Quickload with good success with several cartridges/loads, I find that it is not very representative to loads that myself and many others are using. Like most data found in many reloading manuals, the loads/velocities for the 6.5x284 are generally understated. This may be due them accommodating rifles constructed using a short action/short leades.

While I have used Quickload with good success with several cartridges/loads, I find that it is not very representative to loads that myself and many others are using. Like most data found in many reloading manuals, the loads/velocities for the 6.5x284 are generally understated. This may be due them accommodating rifles constructed using a short action/short leades.

I find the same thing Greyfox. Some rifles/ calibers are right on and others it gets you in the ballpark. I'm fine with ballpark. Keeps you on your toes. I feel twist rates and different powder lots account for a lot of it plus all the other variables. But it does give me a place to start.

I am using a long action. I found my OAL by using the Hornady OAL Gauge. However I think that I was pressing very lightly and stopping at the very minimal sign of resistance which got me in the 2.93 range. I pushed a bit firmer and am not and 3.140 and I also used the sharpie method on the nosler website and got the same result. I think that should give me enough room to stop the compression.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.