6.5x284 Norma Reloading Dies Suggestion

Ranger260

I recently purchased a Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5x284 NORMA. I just bought 100 rounds of once-fired Lapua brass. Now I am trying to find some dies to create hunting ammunition for this rifle (mostly for mule deer). As I am a novice handloader, what suggestions do yo have for what dies I should invest in? I am looking to use the Hornady 143 ELD-X to begin (may use Bergers if I don't get good performance). Do I need to be looking at dies with micrometer stems, VLD stems, match type, bushings, etc. or would a standard set of dies be sufficient given my experience (or lack thereof)? Can I use a die set under $100 and make accurate ammo (some sets go $100-150), or will I be handicapping myself by not investing in premium dies? I realize that my rifle is a mass-produced factory sporter and not a custom match-grade rifle. Thanks for any thoughts you can provide. I was looking at the following:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...-zE-jUt-oB9hXpVT7xM_ptkxCha4vwo4aAqj2EALw_wcB
-OR-
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101630674/redding-premium-series-2-die-set

Everyone will say buy the best you can afford, and everyone will interpret that to mean a different product.

I started loading with plain old RCBS dies that you can pick up the set for about $40. In .300winmag and in .308win. I was getting under 1/2moa with those dies, but it took a bit of playing and I was only using 1 bullet for each rifle.

Then I caught the bug, started trying different bullets AND adjusting seating depth...all learning more about variables as I went. I have started replacing my dies with Redding S Match Bushing sets with micro seaters, and I really like them. I don't need them to make good ammo, but the features are nice and help save some time when playing with seating depth and different bullets, and give me flexibility on neck tension with the bushings. I have those dies in about 6 different calibers now, one of which is 6.5-284. I really like them, but I'm sure there's something better out there that I haven't figured out I "need" yet.

So how much will you reload and how much do you like to tinker? Anyone can make great handloafs with basic dies IN MY OPINION, but the more expensive, feature rich dies offer flexibility and ease of use when fine tuning that many people who reload as a hobby tend to appreciate as they learn more about how to fine tune their loads and gear.

Everyone will say buy the best you can afford, and everyone will interpret that to mean a different product.

I started loading with plain old RCBS dies that you can pick up the set for about $40. In .300winmag and in .308win. I was getting under 1/2moa with those dies, but it took a bit of playing and I was only using 1 bullet for each rifle.

Then I caught the bug, started trying different bullets AND adjusting seating depth...all learning more about variables as I went. I have started replacing my dies with Redding S Match Bushing sets with micro seaters, and I really like them. I don't need them to make good ammo, but the features are nice and help save some time when playing with seating depth and different bullets, and give me flexibility on neck tension with the bushings. I have those dies in about 6 different calibers now, one of which is 6.5-284. I really like them, but I'm sure there's something better out there that I haven't figured out I "need" yet.

So how much will you reload and how much do you like to tinker? Anyone can make great handloafs with basic dies IN MY OPINION, but the more expensive, feature rich dies offer flexibility and ease of use when fine tuning that many people who reload as a hobby tend to appreciate as they learn more about how to fine tune their loads and gear.
I am not a tinkerer. And this will strictly be a hunting rifle, so I will load relatively low-volume as opposed to my .308, 6.5CM and .223. I initially would like to find a load suitable mostly for mule deer and maybe antelope. If that goes well, I may look for a load specific to elk in a bonded or solid bullet (of course maybe I will find a good bullet for all game I've mentioned. Otherwise I have a 300WSM and 300WM I currently prefer for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.