6.5x284 Norma neck tension

Mcarso1

So I am still wanting to tinker with accuracy on my CA ridgeline in above caliber and am somewhat new to reloading. I am currently using Hornady competition full length die set but thinking about upgrading dies so that I can work on neck tension. Where do you start with all the different size bushings offered for neck tension? Is there a standard starting point ? Thanks for help and advice!

Using Lapua brass and Redding S dyes, my last four 6.5x284 barrels produced the best accuracy and ES using a .292" Redding bushing with .264" expander, as supplied with the Redding S Dyes. This produces .0015-.002" of neck tension, neck run-outs <.001", and bullet run outs <.002". Neck wall thickness of Lapua brass is very consistent, running .0145-015".

I ran the same as Grey fox and actually he helped me with my 6.5 284 data gun turned out to be less than 1/2 min out to 1000. 4831sc fed 210m primers 140 vld.

Ok so I will order up Redding type s full length resizing die part# 77415, I don't see bushings on midway site? They have to be bought direct from Redding ?

Morning fellas. So I ordered the die and bushing last night and should be here next week. Got on YouTube last night and was watching videos on set up etc and started seeing where guys where doing a lot of concentricity measuring and turning necks to remove material as needed . You guys doing that or is that more of a bench rest shooter verses hunter/plinker? It seemed interesting but being a rookie not real sure how much gain it is? Your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.