6.5x284 Norma Christensen arms ridgeline loads

Dmagna

I have been banging my face against a wall with this gun since I bought it. I have tried using 3 different powders and all show pressure signs and run really slow. Tried 52 grains of 4831sc and only hit 2750fps, 57 gr of retumbo hit 2850fps, and 57 gr of RE26 hit 3000. I am thinking I have a bad barrel or chamber. Anyone have any problems like this?

What bullet are you using, and what is your seating depth. You might want to check the throating in your rifle. For a Berger 140 VLD, 142 SMK, and 143 Hornady ELD-x, COAL of these bullets when seated to the lands should run 3.1"-3.2". I have run across 6.5x284's that use the 284 Winchester throating which is shorter then the Norma spec. This would produce velocities in the range you are experiencing. Not saying that this is the case with your rifle, but worth a check.
Another question. How many round has the barrel seen. Some barrels will increase velocity as much as 50-100 FPS after 100+rounds.
How are your groups. If the barrel was defective it is likely that it would effect accuracy.

I have a Christensen Arms Classic in 338 Lapua and have had issues with early pressure issues (way below manual max), so I understand your frustration. I've talked to a few other CA rifle owners on the Christensen FB page that had the same issue. I was told that the tolerances in these rifles is very very tight and the chambers are tight. Have you shot brand new brass and not had this issue? I was having my issue with once fired and FL resized brass. I was told that I should anneal after every firing, which solved the issue for the other guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.