6.5x284 load.

The_Whitetail_kid

Trying to work up a load with the 6.5x284 with h1000 powder and 143 Eldx. What would y'all suggest for the seating depth and how many grains of powder? Thanks.

Trying to work up a load with the 6.5x284 with h1000 powder and 143 Eldx. What would y'all suggest for the seating depth and how many grains of powder? Thanks.
Consult the Internet and it's always good to have several different reloading manuals to verify information, remember to work your way up don't start near the top. Also is yours a 6.5 x 284 norma or 6.5 x 2 84 Winchester it makes a difference.

This is from a 6.5 by 284 Norma
image.jpg

If you do a search you will find loads of data. There are couple of 20 plus page threads about different loads when everyone was shooting one before the 6.5 creed not that its any better . I loaded 48.5 grains of 100HV but my gun pressured out eerily and would only run about 2860FPS but it was a good load. Honestly I think the 6.5X284Norma is a much better round. 140 VLD, or the 143 ELDX. There is also an elite hunter in 140 grain that might be a little easier to tune. Use Lapua brass for the longest life.

I've got a 6.5x284 and also going with retumbo and 143 eldx. I'm going back to the Berger seating depth test because I didn't have much luck at the range last weekend with the seating depths I was trying. Using FED 210s and 56.5/ 57 gr Retumbo. Has anyone found the eldx to be picky on seating depths?

How bad is bad? If we're talking over 2" groups here I'd change the powder. H4831 is in stock right now.

How bad is bad? If we're talking over 2" groups here I'd change the powder. H4831 is in stock right now.
You just wont get the speed with 4831SC as you will with H1000 or Retumbo.

I got 2950 with h4831sc, it's the gold standard powder for the 6.5-284 Norma, which is the sweet spot for the cartridge. I have tried rl26, 23, h1000, h4831sc, retumbo, n560, n565, n570 in the 3 rifles I have had. H4831sc was the most accurate and consistent, retumbo was a very close second. I try and maintain 2950-3000fps with the 143eldx. I seat them .020 off the lands.

I got 2950 with h4831sc, it's the gold standard powder for the 6.5-284 Norma, which is the sweet spot for the cartridge. I have tried rl26, 23, h1000, h4831sc, retumbo, n560, n565, n570 in the 3 rifles I have had. H4831sc was the most accurate and consistent, retumbo was a very close second. I try and maintain 2950-3000fps with the 143eldx. I seat them .020 off the lands.
I had weird pressure spikes with RL26, Retumbo was the most consistent in mine, easily getting 3000fps.

I have had good luck with 4831, just want more speed that retumbo gives. I also have RL 26 but am hesitant to start another powder. Maybe il just have to build or buy another one hahaha. Heading to the range tomorrow to see if my Berger seating depth test gives me a good basis to go off. Anyone else use Berger seating depth suggestions for 143eldx?

Yeah but if the groups print like garbage, doesn't matter how fast you send the bullet on its way to missing. That's why I qualified with the group being over 2", that's indicative of a component mismatch. We can all want the speed as much as we want, but if it doesn't print it doesn't print.
Anyone else use Berger seating depth suggestions for 143eldx?
It's a secant ogive bullet so the logic behind the Berger test is valid. The problem will come with do you have the throat length/ case capacity to still run enough of the slower powder to pick up velocity if you have to stuff the bullet into the case to get to 0.120" off the lands. My chamber is throated for 156 Bergers so I have enough room to seat deeper, but in a standard spec chamber you might start compressing the load sooner than you want to. No reason to not try it though, just pay attention to load density for the longest jumps if the bullet is below the neck/shoulder junction.

Yeah but if the groups print like garbage, doesn't matter how fast you send the bullet on its way to missing. That's why I qualified with the group being over 2", that's indicative of a component mismatch. We can all want the speed as much as we want, but if it doesn't print it doesn't print.

It's a secant ogive bullet so the logic behind the Berger test is valid. The problem will come with do you have the throat length/ case capacity to still run enough of the slower powder to pick up velocity if you have to stuff the bullet into the case to get to 0.120" off the lands. My chamber is throated for 156 Bergers so I have enough room to seat deeper, but in a standard spec chamber you might start compressing the load sooner than you want to. No reason to not try it though, just pay attention to load density for the longest jumps if the bullet is below the neck/shoulder junction.
Mine has a .199 free bore, and yes if I use the .120 off I'd be compressing quite a bit so I loaded the .010, .050 and .090 off. I'm running 56.5 and .090 of was just a tad bit of compression