6.5x284 LOAD HELP

I would also try h1000. I have and it performs well. While conducting a ladder test at 400 yards it shows much less vertical spread over a wide powder charge. Speed wise it is probably a little faster than 4831. I have not used 4831 for the 6.5-284 in several years so I have no direct comparison at this point. The horizontal is a bit erratic due to a 3-7 mph inconsistent cross wind.

Attachments

• ladder test H1000 6.5-284.jpg
    ladder test H1000 6.5-284.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 60
dok7mm,
Looks like H-4831 has a great track record for you. With this Savage, I can only get as close as .075 off the lands and have enough bearing surface in the neck to be comfortable in a hunting rifle. I've gone through the rifle as has my gunsmith. Everything checks out.

barefooter56,
I was waiting for your question to come up. I did have some success with BR2's at .075" off. I guess low velocity got the best of me. I kept looking for a good load in the 2970-3000fps range.
Correction.. I had a good load at 2962fps.

Greyfox,
After uploading these targets, I feel a little foolish. That's a pretty good load at 58.2 grains of Retumbo...

BrentM,
I have thought about dipping into my H1000 stock I use for my 300WM.

I have been trying to figure this out by myself for soo long that I kind of had the blinders on. I need your guys' fresh set of eyes.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 78
In my previous post, I failed to catch your OAL limitation. I was lucky enough to start .010" off lands and lucky enough for it to shine with 3 rifles [ same contours and lengths helped]. Would like to note the 140 bergers didn't impress at 1-200 yds. It was only when I shot initial ladder @ 300 yds, I saw a tight vertical in the 51.6 gr. & 51.9 loads of H-4831. Next, loaded 5 each from 51 to 52.2 for 400 yd. ladder. Once again, the 51.6 & 51.9 shined [ 3/8" &1/4" vert.] Pretty much the same regime for all three. I have had your problems with a long throat 7Mag and it was frustrating to try all those different seating depths. My best advise [taken w/gr. of salt] would be to try a bullet that takes a jump better [maybe an AMAX] or go with H-4831 or H-4350. One last thought- try 210 M primer. In a short fat case, I don't see the need for mag primer. You should get better SD with large rifle primer, therefore smaller group. JMO Good Luck.

Randy,
Like your notes say, shoot it again at .070 and .080.
Stick with the Retumbo, it's working. Can it be consistent?
What is the max charge weight for Retumbo and the 140 at .075?
Bipod or bag? If bipod, try shooting from a bag as near the recoil lug as you can tolerate to rule out stock flex.
Have somebody watch your follow through.
And lastly, you and I use pretty much the same table as a shooting platform. Try shooting off of something a little more solid that can't affect the transition between trigger release and bullet exit as much.

If all else fails try 52.5 gr Norma MRP. I gained 100 fps at same pressure as 4831sc. Same accuracy...26" 8 twist, Lapua brass.

Very under-rated powder...

Thanks for the ideas guys. They are appreciated!

Hotolds442,
I did try .070 &.080 off lands and they shot .678" and 1.21". Not good
My max velocity test showed 58.8 gr Retumbo had flattened and cratered primers, but the bolt cycled fine with no stiffness. Two shots were side by side and the third was 1.3" away at 10 o'clock. This was the day I realized the barrel nut had come loose. My Magnetospeed did not give me a reading.
The load below, 58.5 gr., gave 2994fps with flattened primers, but no cratering and no stiff bolt. I did not have a higher load to shoot that day, so I have not found max load I guess.
I never thought about my rest as it has served me well with my 300. The McMillan Varmiter stock probably is more forgiving than the Savage accustock.
I will look at my options.

Hmmmm..... curious, what gauge was used to set the head space? Have you measured the head space of a fired case? What did the smith cut the throat to? It seems strange you can get that much pressure without bolt lift issues. Any time I get pressure signs like flat and cratered primers I usually start to see ejector marks. As soon I see ejector marks I start getting heavy lift. For me, ejector marks (brass flow) is the end of testing, I back off at that point.

I think as long as you have consistency in the powder charge, neck tension, seating depth, and of course shooter controls you have not yet found the sweet spot you are looking for. Perhaps go back to a ladder test of a powder range you feel is working well and do it at 400 to 500 yards. As soon as you get that low vertical range then shoot a couple of groups at that distance.

Here is what the retumbo loads did, for reference against the h1000. I see the nodes I want to work with in both powders, but I notice retumbo has a much larger spread. Not that is an issue, it just seems H1000 has more potential for tuning. The 2 powders did the same thing in my 243.

Attachments

• 6.5 Ret.jpg
    6.5 Ret.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 74
I guess I should have said it different, I was referring to the diameter of the throat around the neck. A friend has a rifle with a oversize and he has flyer issues.

I have been racking my brain as to why this rifle has shot so inconsistent.

1.Oh yah... there was that time when the barrel nut came loose:rolleyes:. I was doing some dremel work to the bottom edge of the recoil lug as it was making contact with the bottom of the recoil lug slot in the Accustock. It fixed the clearance issue but the vibration from the dremel caused the nut to come loose. Note to self...always check barrel nut tightness.

2. Scope siding in rings is NEVER good. Note to self... always lap rings ( and bed bases). Fixed.

3. Constantly messing with stock to action torque. I need to leave things ALONE!
Now leaving them at 40 in/lb.

4. I even sent my scope back to Sightron to have it checked out. It did:rolleyes:.

5. Found a flaw in the bottom metal. I pulled out the frame and noticed a problem where the clip release is located. On the upper side of the bottom metal that mates up with the accustock aluminum rail, the pin and spring assembly for the clip release had "bumps" above each end of the pin that allowed the bottom metal rock on this high point. I filed these bumps down flush with the bottom metal line.

6. As Hotolds442 mentioned, I needed to upgrade my shooting rest. I also turned over my shooting table and found numerous screws either loose, missing or stripped out. Repairs are now completed.

Here are pictures of my old shooting rest and a late birthday present to myself. Front rest is a Caldwell "The Rock". I chased and cleaned all threads and lubricated them with bicycle chain oil. Adjusts like butter now. My rear rest is a Protektor.
Dry firing in a shooting position with the new set-up on the revamped table using good shooting form showed amazing steadiness compared to the former rest.

And now on to the challenge of finding Mr. One Hole (does that sound bad?:D).
I will report back with the results.

I have learned so much working with this factory rifle, I do not regret the journey.
Thanks to you guys also.

P.S. BrentM, Fired case headspace is 1.805". sized case headspace is set at 1.785".

Attachments

• caldwell the rock 001.jpg
    caldwell the rock 001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 74
  • caldwell the rock 002.jpg
    caldwell the rock 002.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 59
Hmmm. Doesn't seem excessive.

Curious, do you check or have you checked bullet run out with a concentricity guage? Basically making sure the bullets are straight in the case. Some people don't believe this is an issue but straight ammo shoots straight right? Just a thought

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.