6.5x284 equilvent

kstrick

I am very interested in the 6.5x284 for a hunting rifle. However, I have never seen one offered by Rem, Ruger, Savage etc.. I can't afford a custom gun with 3 girls in college.
What would be an equivalent caliber as far as long distance and accuracy?
Thanks
Ken
gun)

I can't afford a custom gun with 3 girls in college.
What would be an equivalent caliber as far as long distance and accuracy?
Thanks
Ken
gun)
Many manufactures offer a 270 WSM, and mine shoots just great with 140 grain bullets. I can break 3000 fps with a variety of powders and quality factory ammo is available in a pinch. For hunting small to med-large size game, it's still hard to beat a 270 WSM.

Some very good .277 bullets are recently available. Plus you have the option to shoot 150 AB or 160 Partition if you want to go after bigger game.

JM .02

Savage makes an F-Class gun in 6.5x284. Bud's has it for about $1K. I know it's not a traditional hunting rifle in that configuration, but a new stock and shortening the barrel may get you just what you want without the full custom pricetag.

Edit: dust beat me to it. That's what I get for typing on my phone. :)

Yeah, a local shop has a Svage 6.5x284 in F class...but I would need a gun bearer to drag it around!!
Thanks for the input guys!
Ken :D

Savage is now making a Model 111 Long-Range Hunter rifle in 6.5-284 Norma. It is advertised in the December09/January10 edition of Shooting Times magazine. It is a long action so the bullets can be seated out (Norma's style) has a 24" fluted barrel with a turn on or off muzzle brake. It come with a synthetic AccuStock with adjustable cheekrest and Accutrigger. The MSRP is $664.00

Thanks
I have not seen that. I have a .270 Win Savage 112. Very nice gun.... nice wood and very accurate for a non custom gun. I guess I know what the next gun will be.
Thanks
Ken

Just spoke to customer service at Savage.
The Model 111 longrange hunter will be available in Janurary.
Sporter contour barrel - blued - 26" includes the break
Accu Stock
Accutriger
No current plans for stainless
Their UPC code 18896
MSRP for the 6.5x284 of $934

Buy a stevens 300 mag for $300.00 and order a 6.5 rem mag for $175.00 from er shaw. this will beat the 6.5x284

Or buy a stevens 25-06 order a 6.5x284.
either way you only have $475.00 in the gun you want

Hello Ken,

Savage has a long range hunting rifle that is so new you can't even find it listed on their catalog yet. It will be a laminated stocked long heavy barrelled weapon and will probably have a lot in common with their other competition 6.5 x 284's. Don't look for an alternate caliber. There is a good reason this caliber is so popular for long range target shooting: its very easy to load for , the recoil is minimal compared to its heavier competition and the long 140 grain bullets resists wind and seem to have extra long range punch all out of porportion to its diameter.

Geneso

Thank,
My local dealer complains that Savage is not filling orders for much of anything.
He has on stainless .270 in accutrigger/stock. If I didn't have a accutrigger .270 I would get it.
I would love to have a 6.5x284 in the accutrigger/stock package but, I told him if a .308 comes in he better call ME first.
Merry Christmas
Ken

Just spoke to customer service at Savage.
The Model 111 longrange hunter will be available in Janurary.
Sporter contour barrel - blued - 26" includes the break
Accu Stock
Accutriger
No current plans for stainless
Their UPC code 18896
MSRP for the 6.5x284 of $934

If I had the money I would have this ordered the second it is possible, should be a couple hundred less if you have a good dealer. In that long action you would be able to seat the 140's out real nice.
The 270 WSM will run with 6.5 rather well but I understand wanting a 6.5, I need one too but can't justify it with a 270 WSM that run so close to it.

Savage is now making a Model 111 Long-Range Hunter rifle in 6.5-284 Norma. It is advertised in the December09/January10 edition of Shooting Times magazine. It is a long action so the bullets can be seated out (Norma's style) has a 24" fluted barrel with a turn on or off muzzle brake. It come with a synthetic AccuStock with adjustable cheekrest and Accutrigger. The MSRP is $664.00

Would this action take a 338 altramag ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.