6.5x284 elk and deer hunting.

If you figure it out let me know, I understand the frustration .

Next time our computer guy makes a house call, hopefully we'll get some resolution on this one. It's high on my list. I have often wondered if the people who write the code for these programs have a political bias. My brother and I exchange emails about political issues frequently, and this has raised my suspicion. For example, if you write the names of our current president and our last president in an email, using both capitalized and lower-case letters at the beginning of their surnames, watch what the auto-correct feature does. ( True, one is both a proper name and an ordinary noun, while the other is solely a proper name.) The silicon valley nerds who manage this stuff may be jerking our chains a bit here - or maybe they're just not that smart and I'm reading too much into it. There's also a big to-do going on right now with the same bunch of politicos about censorship on social media.

Are you set on a 6.5? I built a 284 Shehane (improved 284 Winchester) and have had excellent success with 180 vld's at 2830. Double the barrel life too. A straight 284 Winchester is very capable of achieving those velocity's as well.

I have a hunt for both elk and pronghorn antelope in NM coming up soon. I will be taking the 300RUM for the elk and my 6.5x284 will let the air out of an antelope. i have no doubt that a well placed Berger from my 6.5x284 will kill an elk just fine... I just know my 300 will do it more better. Elk are big and can soak up some punishment.

I have a hunt for both elk and pronghorn antelope in NM coming up soon. I will be taking the 300RUM for the elk and my 6.5x284 will let the air out of an antelope. i have no doubt that a well placed Berger from my 6.5x284 will kill an elk just fine... I just know my 300 will do it more better. Elk are big and can soak up some punishment.
What you say is very true. I shoot a 6.5 X 284 but only in matches. Elk hunting I use my 264 Mag. throwing 160 Matrix out the tube good for 400 yards or a little better. Deer / Pronghorn I prefer the 6.5 X 55 loaded with 140 Partitions running at 2650 FPS and has proven to be a solid combination. Bring both rifles with you on your hunt, but use the one that you can shoot the best. I feel shot placement is much more important than horse power and a bullet through both lungs will work ever time. To date my longest shot has been a little over 225 yards so I always try to get close as possible. Let everyone know how you hunt turns out, post some photo's, I will be near Mt Taylor this fall looking for Elk and I hope I have some luck.
Ace

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.