6.5x284 elk and deer hunting.

Looking for a good bullet and barrel combo. I am building a new 6.5x284 for elk and deer hunting. Would like to be able to shoot deer in the 1000 yard range and elk in the 800 yard range. I already have the brass and the reloading equipment for this caliber from past f class shooting. Thanks.
I rebarreled my Savage 116 LA to a 6.5-284 a year ago with a 27" Krieger 1:8 twist barrel. It was either a Krieger or Bruce since they are both cut rifled barrels, I could get the Krieger delivered quicker. The 140 gr VLD at 3000 fps shoots bug holes and is a bit of a perfect storm of a hunting bullet in performance. I also shoot a mono (the 124 gr Hammer Hunter) that is a devastating bullet on game. Honestly, I prefer a 30 cal or larger on elk, but the Norma will get it done. The NM outfitter I hunt with a lot has told me they've taken many elk with the Norma and 140 gr bullets. I'd keep your range to a max of 700 yards with this bullet so you can stay at the 2000 fps threshold for elk.

I have experience with the savage 111 in the 6.5/284 and due to its action being standard, it is a wonderful round. It will hume the 130- 140 -142 bullets. It is milder on recoil because of the sholder angle and this angle lets you get better velocity by good management of pressure in the case.. In my test IMR7828 was my best preformer - and h1000 and probally reloader 26 will be great.

Not a 6.5x284 but a 6.5 06, little different in the two. I been getting good groups with 143gr Hornady ELD's. I have not hunted elk with it yet but will this fall, and after taking three bull with the 7mm WSM I feel it's enough. Took a lot of whitetales with the bullet and it preformed well, and I going to work up a load with the Begers in 130gr and 140gr, if it groups well which i believe it will as they shoot well in everything I may use them this fall.

Good. I have owned 3, 6.5/06 and the current one shoot a 140 gr. at 3030-with IMR 7828 and h 1000 Reloader 25.. I get the same with the 6.5/284 vel , but the 6.5/06 does it with 2 gr less powder. Your bullet selections are great- I use nolser A B . I am shooting a magnum remington bbl 25"

Good luck with your hunt, I believe you will like your gun performance. The 140gr and above shoot well and finish off quickly on game. I started to go the 6.5x284 route but decided to go with something (6.5x06) a little different. And the brass is very much available in the 25 06, 270 or 30 06. My gun is a Winchester model 70, with a Douglas barrel 1-8 1/2 twist sitting in a super grade stock. Love it! But I always liked the shorter and fatter calibers. Really like my 7mm WSM. a shame it didnt go over well, but a great caliber. But the brass is sometimes tough to get as I reload everything. I draw a Kentucky bull elk tags this year so hopefully I will be able to report back good news.
Again good luck on your elk hunt.

Looking for a good bullet and barrel combo. I am building a new 6.5x284 for elk and deer hunting. Would like to be able to shoot deer in the 1000 yard range and elk in the 800 yard range. I already have the brass and the reloading equipment for this caliber from past f class shooting. Thanks.
I have a 6.5 X 284, but I only use it for matches, but it slings the heck out 140 Bergers at 1,000 yards. The Elk rile is a 264 Mag. using 160 Matrix being pushed out the tube at 2900 f.p.s. The Deer / Pronghorn set up is a 6.5 X 55 throwing 140 Partitions at 2650 f.p.s. I have never tried to take game at 800 - 1,000 yards, my longest shot to-date is a little over 200 yards. Hope your build turns out well, post a few photos when you are done. I finished my 338 Mag. build while in quarantine and I hope I get to use it this fall.

I have a 6.5 X 284, but I only use it for matches, but it slings the heck out 140 Bergers at 1,000 yards. The Elk rile is a 264 Mag. using 160 Matrix being pushed out the tube at 2900 f.p.s. The Deer / Pronghorn set up is a 6.5 X 55 throwing 140 Partitions at 2650 f.p.s. I have never tried to take game at 800 - 1,000 yards, my longest shot to-date is a little over 200 yards. Hope your build turns out well, post a few photos when you are done. I finished my 338 Mag. build while in quarantine and I hope I get to use it this fall.
I will hopefully have something to post l I'll

if you don't mind what state have you been hunting elk in?

Ton's of good elk bullets out there, pick one and get in shape and get after it. Are you going guided or diy?
I have been hunting in Colorado have taken few elk and deer with my 6x284. Have used outfitter but not guided and have done diy these next few hunts will be diy.

Damauto correct to gets me all the time

Is there a way to turn off that function ? It annoys me to no end. I have to proof-read everything I write, because it changes things that were initially written correctly. Sometimes it even un-capitalizes a proper name, and I don't want to look like an illiterate moron.

I have experience with the savage 111 in the 6.5/284 and due to its action being standard, it is a wonderful round. It will hume the 130- 140 -142 bullets. It is milder on recoil because of the sholder angle and this angle lets you get better velocity by good management of pressure in the case.. In my test IMR7828 was my best preformer - and h1000 and probally reloader 26 will be great.

Please elaborate on the "management of pressure inside the case" comment. I'm not well versed on internal ballistics, and any help you could throw out there would be greatly appreciated. Also, how does shoulder angle of the cartridge affect felt recoil ? This, too is new ground for me. Thanks.

Is there a way to turn off that function ? It annoys me to no end. I have to proof-read everything I write, because it changes things that were initially written correctly. Sometimes it even un-capitalizes a proper name, and I don't want to look like an illiterate moron.
If you figure it out let me know, I understand the frustration .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.