6.5x284 and eld x 143

Cmabbott04

hey guys first post!

I'm not a huge amount of experience reloading and usually stick to what the book suggests. However I definitely know I want to use H4350 with my 143 eld x bullets in my 6.5 x 284. Is there anyone that can suggest a good starting charge? I have read and found some for 140 vld but not sure if it is safe to start with that same charge. Thanks in advance.

hey guys first post!

I'm not a huge amount of experience reloading and usually stick to what the book suggests. However I definitely know I want to use H4350 with my 143 eld x bullets in my 6.5 x 284. Is there anyone that can suggest a good starting charge? I have read and found some for 140 vld but not sure if it is safe to start with that same charge. Thanks in advance.

Don't waste your time with H4350 and use Retumbo instead for the ELDX. You'll end up somewhere between 56-50 gr, start at 50 and work up from there.
If you want to shoot the 140 VLD, then H4831 is what you want. Your accuracy node with be somewhere between 51-53.5 gr

Awesome, I have some Retumbo as well. Just so I know, how do you guys find a safe starting charge for a powder not listed in the book?

Berger lists 58 gr of Tetumbo as max for the 140 VLD. Drop down 10% to find a good starting load is typical. If you start at 50 gr, you should be fine. It's where I began with the ELDX when there was no data for them

I am in similar boat as you, I picked up H4831sc and Retumbo with 210 and 215 but have yet to load one until I get over to gunsmiths and figure out where to start with seating depth. Couple guys on here will give great advice.

Nosler, Hodgdon, Alliant & others have reliable reloading data on line. It's a good idea to check several sources when you are looking to use a specific powder.
A few grains difference in bullet weight isn't significant when using published starting loads.
Particularly for a new reloader, I would STRONGLY recommend against using any data posted on the web from anyone on chat boards. I've seen some really crazy things posted by shooters who type in the wrong powder, charge or whatever as they listed what they THOUGHT they were using. There is also no way to gauge what pressure levels they may be loading to. Just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.