6.5x284 24" vs. 26" Barrel

Jumpalot

I'm going to be rebuilding my 6.5x284 that I built a few years ago. It currently is a copy of a Sendero but blueprinted 700 action, Jewell, Bartlein barrel etc. But I find myself not shooting/hunting with it as much as I thought I would. It's just a little heavier then I want to carry around. I'm going to get a Proof Research Barrel and AGC stock and smaller scope to make a fairly light carry rifle. I was thinking about going with a shorter 24" barrel, but I'm afraid I might give up too much velocity. I've always used 26" barrels with a brake and that length never bothered me too much. Thoughts from all of you would be appreciated. Pros and Cons please

Devils always in the details. I'm going to say 50fps? Even if a bit more it makes the rifle more usable-I'd do it.

How do you anticipate using it?

I'm going to be rebuilding my 6.5x284 that I built a few years ago. It currently is a copy of a Sendero but blueprinted 700 action, Jewell, Bartlein barrel etc. But I find myself not shooting/hunting with it as much as I thought I would. It's just a little heavier then I want to carry around. I'm going to get a Proof Research Barrel and AGC stock and smaller scope to make a fairly light carry rifle. I was thinking about going with a shorter 24" barrel, but I'm afraid I might give up too much velocity. I've always used 26" barrels with a brake and that length never bothered me too much. Thoughts from all of you would be appreciated. Pros and Cons please
You'll probably lose around 50-80FPS.

I'd stick with the longer barrel myself especially since you're going with a carbon fiber barrel this time around.

If anything, I'd go with a little smaller profile vs a shorter barrel.

Most likely the reason you chose that chambering was for velocity, so why cut into it.

I agree a WildRose...maybe a thinner profile, but certainly not shorter!

How important is 50-75 FPS to you compared to easier carry rifle.

I had same choice with my 280AI. I went with 24 in because the 26 with break wobble in my pack and are noticeably more cumbersome to carry through brush. Worth the small fps loss to me.

I am not a long range hunter. My hunting ranges only go out to 400 yards. All my rifles have been 21-24 inch barrels with out breaks. I just purchased my first rifle with a break. It has a 24inch barrel not including the break so it is about 26 inches long now. All I can say is I find myself having to duck farther under branches than I did in the past and it is definitely less handy than the other rifles. That being said I will get used to it. If I were shooting out 700 yards and beyond id probably care more about the speed id be giving up depending on the energy I need to kill my game animal. So ask yourself, does that 50-100fps make a true difference in that regard? If not, then maybe handy rifle would be a nice change.

I have built a few with both but since I brake everything, I'd probably go with a 24" for ease of packing. Won't lose much speed. My 26" is running 147s at 2942 with r19. With r26 you would still have your 24" going 3k ish with 147s. Good luck

I seem to be drawn to threads on this topic....shorter barrels....

Bunch of guys on the Grendel Forum have blocked me so they don't have to read all my posts on the issue. They all feel the 6.5 Grendel is fine with a 12.5" barrel...even shooting out to 1000 yards.

I recently got my silencer out of jail and one of the first guns I screwed it on has a barrel that is a hair over 26"...when you add a can that is 10"...the rig is tuff to deal with.

So I do understand a thought process where you plan to add a can on a hunting rifle.

But shorting a barrel when you've gone to the expense or extra effort to use a chambering that is not common with the purpose being velocity...then shorten the barrel...confuses me. The 6.5x284 is not cheap to shoot...brass and dies cost more. I only have one because I ran into a deal here for a barrel, dies and a bunch of Lupua brass. I ended up selling the barrel because I wanted a 26" barrel not 22".

A cartridge that has been Ackley Improved is about the same thought process. I had a 6mm AI that I ended up pulling the barrel and selling it with dies and brass because the barrel was only 20".

Anyway here is a picture with my wife and her buck from this year. The rifle is her 6.5-06 with the can attached to her 26" barrel...we hunt out of a box blind...it is a pain in the *** to handle in a stand!
20191109_184024.jpg

The picture was not really taken to show off the rifle, but you can see how long it is!

Great feedback so far!! I don't pack in miles and miles to go shoot anything but, I will walk several miles in a day. Antelope, whitetail, muleys and the occasional elk are the game I'll be hunting. My struggle is partly that I already have a 260 and I don't want to make my 6.5x284 into another 260. But, 50fps wouldn't bother me much. My current load is a little mild anyhow.

My 6.5-284 has a 26in Shilen Sendero contour and I shoot it suppressed, but if I ever rebarrel it, It would probably be a coin flip as to whether I went 24 or 26.

If 26 plus brake never bothered you then run it. There is no reason to give up FPS unless you have a reason. I have gone from 28 down 20-22 to use with my suppressor which is 7". So Im still 27-29. If I need a short quick handling rifle i'll pull the suppressor.

On another note I have a couple 24" 6.5-284's and they did fine. 2920-2950 was the sweet spot with 140's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.