6.5x06 Rel 26 & Nosler 140gr AB

Hespco

The info listed here pertains to my rifle "ONLY". Went out on my home range this morning with my 6.5x06. E.R.Shaw 24" stainless Bbl with 1/8 twist. I have a container of Rel 26 that's been setting around for some time & decided to try it in my rifle. Using CCI # 200 LR primers & working up slowly with the Nosler 140gr AB. I stopped at 54grs of Rel 26 which read 3075 FPS & very uniform/ low shot to shot vel. . Remember this is a 24" bbl. A 26" would give around 60 to 70 fps more which would mean around 3135 or a little more. Brass used is once fired RP 25-06 reformed. After brass had been shot multiple times primers pockets were still very firm . Not the slighest sign of any excessive pressure. Bullets seated about .020 off the lands gave consistent sub 1/2" three shot groups. My target sets at 108 yds from my bench. Sighted at 1/1/2" high I was dead on at 225yds. At this point the wind came up , blowing at probably 20 + MPH, right to left so did not try my 500yd target. A great morning. Fiorgot to add I'm shooting at my place at 7630' elevation.

As long as I'm not shooting prairie dogs with my 6.5 I should have plenty of Rel 26 to last for a few hunting seasons. Eventually Rel 26 will become available. If not 50 FPS less velocity with my old powder will still work.

The info listed here pertains to my rifle "ONLY". Went out on my home range this morning with my 6.5x06. E.R.Shaw 24" stainless Bbl with 1/8 twist. I have a container of Rel 26 that's been setting around for some time & decided to try it in my rifle. Using CCI # 200 LR primers & working up slowly with the Nosler 140gr AB. I stopped at 54grs of Rel 26 which read 3075 FPS & very uniform/ low shot to shot vel. . Remember this is a 24" bbl. A 26" would give around 60 to 70 fps more which would mean around 3135 or a little more. Brass used is once fired RP 25-06 reformed. After brass had been shot multiple times primers pockets were still very firm . Not the slighest sign of any excessive pressure. Bullets seated about .020 off the lands gave consistent sub 1/2" three shot groups. My target sets at 108 yds from my bench. Sighted at 1/1/2" high I was dead on at 225yds. At this point the wind came up , blowing at probably 20 + MPH, right to left so did not try my 500yd target. A great morning. Fiorgot to add I'm shooting at my place at 7630' elevation.

say it ain't so! You're not using the TSX/TTSX??? 😄

I have multiple 6.5 rifles. This particular bullet/ powder combo ( 140gr & Rel 26 ) in the 6.5x06 was done so as to show the comparison in performance to other similar 6.5's with about the same case capacity. Such as 6.5 x284, 6.5 Rem mag & of course the 6.5 PRC. This last season as has been in the past since 1994 my elk have been taken by the copper mono's. I see no reason tp change. They rule supreme in in my opinion when it comes to elk. I see no reason to alter my elk taking bullet .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.