6.5wsm

Ksdogman

Thinking about building one of these and would like to get some feedback on people that have, first and formost is accuracy?, are they natural shooters? which case to use, 300wsm? Velocities that are being produced?
Thanks alot in advance
gun)

Thinking about building one of these and would like to get some feedback on people that have, first and formost is accuracy?, are they natural shooters? which case to use, 300wsm? Velocities that are being produced?
Thanks alot in advance
gun)

I don't personally have a 6.5 WSM but have discussed the ballistics with people who do because it is comparable in velocity to my 6.5 Sherman. The difference is the Sherman has a .470" case head based off of the .270 case. Capacity is very close. You should be able to reach 3200' in the WSM, as will the Sherman, with a 140 gr. bullet. This is with a 26" barrel. I believe barrel life is better with the Sherman because of the design. As far as accuracy goes, I would expect there isn't much difference and is mostly dependant on the quality of the weapon, as is usually the case. The Sherman does have a little better neck which should give an accuracy advantage all things considered.......Rich

A friend of mine built a 6.5-47 lapua with Krieger barrel and with the 140 gr. VLD's has shot a couple 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch groups at 500 yds. his gun consistantly shoots 1 1/4 inch groups at 500 yds. I was so impressed that I bought a Krieger barrel in heavy varmint 31 inch 1 in 8 twist for my 6.5 WSM build. I found out it is easier to neck down 270 WSM cases than 300 WSM cases. I also neck turned the brass just to clean it up. I just got my reamer from Dave at PTG and hopefully in the next 2 weeks get it put together.
You need a 1 in 8 twist to stabilize the 140's. I just bought Winchester brass to use for my rifle.
I also found loading info on Accurate shooter and Predator Masters websites.
Brunos Shooters supply always has Kreiger barrels in stock.
Tarey

save your money and go with 264 win. 1 8t

will out do the wsm

my wsm 28" rock creek 140 berger 68.0 h-1000 fed gm 215m max 3180fps.

good luck.

save your money and go with 264 win. 1 8t

will out do the wsm

my wsm 28" rock creek 140 berger 68.0 h-1000 fed gm 215m max 3180fps.

good luck.

Is that all your 6.5 will produce or is that just your favorite load? My 6.5 Sherman will reach 3200' with a 26"......Rich

I had a 6.5WSM on a 26" Broughton and would not recommend anyone building one. It did run the 140 Bergers at 3325 but was not accurate. I had to tune it down clear to 3050 to get it to shoot good. To me that's not worth it still buring about 68 grains Ret. My 6.5-06AI's all run 3080-3150 out of a 26" tube. The throat was ugly after 300 rounds on the 6.5 WSM. The Sherman really intrigues me. I have shot 6.5-06AI's for several years but would have to consider the Sherman when I am ready to rebarrel. I also think a 6.5 SAUM would be a good choice, but have not heard of anyone running one.​

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.