6.5wsm

Booney

Base of the Bluemountains aka Gods Country
I really want a good 6.5 was wondering why no one is building a wsm in a 6.5. Dose this combo just not work out or what. It seems to me that this would be a great round, But it dose not get any of the press a lot of these other wildcat get and I was just wondering why. How fast also do you think you could push a 140 out of this round 3250?

I know a few guys that have specialty pistols chambered in 6.5wsm, seems it preforms a bit better than the 6.5x284

I've been thinking about this round also, my brother shoots the 270wsm, which has been quite popular. Maybe it's the popularity of the other wsm's and already several calibers to choose from. People often talk about shorter barrel life with some of the other.264s, I don't know if it's as bad as they say, I have no experience with them.

What would you use? 270wsm brass?

One of the members on another forum I frequent,wssmzone.com is building a 6.5 WSSM rifle,one or two members own 6.5WSSM variations....one or two have the high-$$$ bolt-action pistols in those calibers,I believe....and someone there should be able to answer your questions.

In fact,anyone who is well-versed in Quickload should be able to answer that for you.

----Gnarly

There are more 6.5WSM owners out there than there seems. For some reason no one wants to talk about them.

I have both a 6.5WSSM and a 6.5WSM. The 6.5 WSSM is basically a 260. I have a 260 also. I can load the same load in the 6.5WSSM as the 260, same powder, samer powder charge, same bullet. I prefer the 260 as the 6.5WSSM is very sensitive to small changes in charge and the 260 deosn't seem to care that much. Both shoot well.

The 6.5WSM will drive a 140 Berger to around 3200+ fps in a 28 inch barrel. (updated)

Last edited:
I also think some of the reason is because the 7mm bullets available have such high BC's that it overcomes some of the extra velocity you can pick up with the lighter 6.5 bullets.

High speed 6.5's tend to be barrel burners, as well. High speed 7mm's probably aren't much better, though.

Bill

Just got back from montana on a hunt with my 6.5 Sherman. It has identical case capacity with the WSM but you don't have to deal with the insanely thick brass! I can launch the 140's at 3200+ with a stiff load (26"barrel). The load that I shoot is a 140 berger at 3150 with great accuracy. (given the identical case capacity, you should get about the same velocity with the WSM)......rich

I've got a 6.5 WSM that will launch a 140 gr bullet at 3200 fps out of my 26" barrel. I'm playing around with the 140 gr partition as my do it all load. Should be good all the way up to moose.

DWM,

Your getting 3300 fps with the 140 in a 28" barrel????

That seems pretty **** fast to me, especially considering that the 264 Win Mag will only get around 3200 fps and the 6.5mm STW will only get around 3300 fps.......

Sounds like you either have a VERY special barrel or your pushing things a bit hard.

I'm at 2950 with 60 grains of 4831SC driving a 168 Berger and right at 3000 with 64 grains of H1000 driving a 180 Berger from my 7mm WSM.

That would seem to be close to equivalent to 3200 on a 140 out of a 6.5 wouldn't it?

Bill

One of the members on another forum I frequent,wssmzone.com is building a 6.5 WSSM rifle,one or two members own 6.5WSSM variations....one or two have the high-$$$ bolt-action pistols in those calibers,I believe....and someone there should be able to answer your questions.

In fact,anyone who is well-versed in Quickload should be able to answer that for you.

...hey Gnarly....I resemble that remark!!:D

welcome aboard....:cool:

Hey Kirby, good catch, I was working on a 130 Accubond load and must have posted that data. (close to 3300 fps)

The 140 Berger is 3200+ fps though with H1000 in a 28 inch barrel. That sound more reasonable?

Kirby, you have a 6.5 Allen Mag, right?

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 WSM in an XP that Kirby built. This handgun is extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot with the brake. Kirby worked up a load pushing a Nosler 120 BT at 3005 fps from a 17 inch barrel. Kirby can give you a better idea of barrel life which is a factor if you're a high volume shooter. Now that I have had ample opportunity to shoot/hunt with this 6.5 WSM, I would not be without one. Kirby builds outstanding guns and this one is no exception. No, I don't get any commission :}

DWM,

Your getting 3300 fps with the 140 in a 28" barrel????

That seems pretty **** fast to me, especially considering that the 264 Win Mag will only get around 3200 fps and the 6.5mm STW will only get around 3300 fps.......

Sounds like you either have a VERY special barrel or your pushing things a bit hard.

For what it's worth, I've just finished barrel break in and starting load development on my 6.5WSM in a 26" Broughton barrel (1-8 twist).
With H1000, GM210M primers, Berger 140 grain hunting VLD bullets, max load for me with these components is at 67.5 grains ( I got the slightest sticky bolt lift at 67.5 grains on a couple of rounds but not on all at that charge). At 66 grains am getting 3120 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.