6.5wsm

Magazine Length for WSM Cartridges

The "WSM" model 70 Magazine length is 3.2 inches. The '06 length Model 70 is 3.4 inches. The "Short Action" Model 70 I am using my "Virginia FN" version is 2.95 inches. I also have a 6.5 WSM in a 1885 Highwall and it is limited by the reamer not the magazine. I have used 3 different reamers (not all of those barrels are currently in use). I chambered the first barrel for Barnes Tripple Shock, even before the tipped version, and it was designed to have 0.1 before the lands. These bullets are seated out according to how many rings are outside of the case. I have loaded the Barnes to 3.38 but not in the magazine.

Again, 130 Accubonds I believe are the most accurate big game bullets for the 6.5 WSM and they can be loaded to 3.1 and have the base of the boattail just above the start of the shoulder of the case. All of the short neck of the WSM will have contact with the bearing surface of the bullet above the boattail.

Most 140 gr bullets will be seated with the boattail deep into the case and the powder charge.

This picture is of a 140 SMK in seated for the magazine of my Montana Kimber in 6.5/300 WSM.

The BT is seated just below the neck shoulder junction and is seated .0175" off the lands.

Attachments

• 140 SMK seated 6.5:300 WSM.jpg
    140 SMK seated 6.5:300 WSM.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 170
Funny you should ask, I am in the process of conversion 270 WSM to 6.5 WSM.
I'm also going to try barrel treatment for the first time. I am not really concerned with barrel life as long as 700+ rounds can go down the tube. I am also rather than pushing the 140 class bullet going to see if the new Matrix 160s will shoot.
Hoping for 3000 + with a .7 something BC should be quite effective.
I also think that just because you can stand on it for velocity, using slow burning powder and being a little conservative will ease the barrel life a bit.
Good luck if you try, additionally if anyone else have any input for my idea I welcome opinions.

Funny you should ask, I am in the process of conversion 270 WSM to 6.5 WSM.
I'm also going to try barrel treatment for the first time. I am not really concerned with barrel life as long as 700+ rounds can go down the tube. I am also rather than pushing the 140 class bullet going to see if the new Matrix 160s will shoot.
Hoping for 3000 + with a .7 something BC should be quite effective.
I also think that just because you can stand on it for velocity, using slow burning powder and being a little conservative will ease the barrel life a bit.
Good luck if you try, additionally if anyone else have any input for my idea I welcome opinions.

You know my option!:D I'll have one together in a couple weeks......Rich

This is my first 6.5 with a treated barrel. It is a Melonite hardened fluted Krieger 8 twist 4 groove 28 inches plus an "Answer" brake. With the trigger tuned to 24 ounces. I have had barrel blanks made to replace all of my 6.5s with Melonite treated barrels when I give up on the first generation.

Attachments

• P1020043.jpg
    P1020043.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 141
This is my first 6.5 with a treated barrel. It is a Melonite hardened fluted Krieger 8 twist 4 groove 28 inches plus an "Answer" brake. With the trigger tuned to 24 ounces. I have had barrel blanks made to replace all of my 6.5s with Melonite treated barrels when I give up on the first generation.

Sure is a pretty rifle...I want one. But I don't know what I would do with it.
I would be afraid of scratching it or something.
We hunt elk in some rough country. My elk rifles look as beat up as your recycled retaining wall............:D

Scroll down there are 3. The targets shown are from 400 yards. I am trying to build a correction table for the recticle. The range goes to 550 yards. I am using a Burris Black Diamond made in USA 8-32X44 30mm. I will hunt with a Bushnell 6500 2,5-16X. I have Talley 30mm Quick Detach with 4 screws. I am working with 66.5 Retumbo and 140 Berger Hybrids this week.

Attachments

• P1020036.jpg
    P1020036.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 158
  • P1010536.jpg
    P1010536.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010539.jpg
    P1010539.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 133
Thanks to all who have addes to this thread, gave me lots of food for thought. I fell in love with 6.5's this year when i pi ked up a savage lrh in 6.5 creedmoor. I also have 2 fn actions from the batch of spr parts they sold a few years back ( the pre 64 mod 70). One with. 308 and one wsm bolt heads. Been trying to decide wich cals to play with. Seeing as how the sav. Is very acurate and i don't think a better shooter could be had without much $$ and work, i have been very lucky and extremely happy with the results. Only been loading my own a few years and can see there will always be more to learn, but as i consider myself a beginner i fell into good advise, and have been learning enough to keep going back for more. Reading these threads keeps me trying new stuff and feel like a kid at christmas when things fall into place. Like when i found the sweet spot for bergers vld. Long winded tonight, sorry.
My thoughts have been leaning toward the wsm action in 6.5 and if so, whitch brass should i use? Is all wsn cals the same size w/ diff lengh and bullet dia.? Then there is the. 325....must need more than one, but geez, hate to be too greedy, not to metion broke all the time.
Is it easy to resize 270 or 7mm to 6.5 wsm?
Lots of questions i know, but the advise is much appreciated.
thanks all,

Lessdrop

I have used Winchester .270 WSM brass, Norma .270 WSM brass and most recently expensive Nosler .270 WSM brass. The Nosler is the best, it is very close in weight. The extreme spread was like .022 grams for the cases I weighed on a Laboratory balance. Regardless of brass, anneal them every 5 or 6 full power shots and they will last many cycles. Winchester metalurgy seems excellent but the primer pockets will need work. I have sorted cases only twice and they shot a little bit better than unsorted cases.

You need as much neck as possible so I would not be a fan of a reamer based on the 7mm WSM neck position. The brass will make 6.5 WSM cases.

The overall length of the Model 70 magazines and Mauser 98 Magazines will easily accomidate the long for caliber bullets that excell at long range. I would have a Tubbs speedlock kit installed for either of these actions but Tubbs makes them available.

Both Wilson size dies and Redding .270 WSM bushing dies make excellent 6.5 WSM dies. I use a full length Redding bushing die most of the time for my 1885 Highwall and the Wilson (neck only) for the Model 70 because it has more camming power.

Attachments

• P1010985.jpg
    P1010985.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 94
I built a 6.5 WSM, three of my buddies built 6.5 WSM's, we love them they shoot really great.
We load Berger Hybrid 140's or SMK 142's with 63gr of H1000 and are running 3250fps, We tried several other powders but can't find H4350.
LEE actually built a 6.5 X .300WSM Die, I use the .270 WSM NORMA brass since it only takes one step to neck down instead of two. The cases are essentially the same, NORMA brass is best.
My neck dia loaded is .291 since I have only .003 chamber clearance I have to turn the necks down to .010 thickness

I built a 6.5-300wsm with a 26" shilen select match barrel. I could get 3200 plus with retumbo but the accuracy wasnt there. I eneded up backing it off to around 3150 where it shot the best. I was a little disappointed as it wasn't doing anything better than my 6.5-06 ackley was except using a lot more powder. If your limited to a short action it is a viable option but if your building on a long action I think there are a few better choices out there.

I built a 6.5-300wsm with a 26" shilen select match barrel. I could get 3200 plus with retumbo but the accuracy wasnt there. I eneded up backing it off to around 3150 where it shot the best. I was a little disappointed as it wasn't doing anything better than my 6.5-06 ackley was except using a lot more powder. If your limited to a short action it is a viable option but if your building on a long action I think there are a few better choices out there.

Yes & no, I decided to build my 6.5WSM from a short action. Then again, I'm also slinging them single shot :cool:. I do agree with you though, that launching 140's at 3150 would disappoint me as well... RL-33 might do it a little better?

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts