6.5WSM

When you talk about bore rider I need to see if it's the same term I've heard. I think some people call a parallel throat. The throat on mine will will be 0.2645. Is that what you and Dave mean by a bore rider? I've seen it mentioned in print but never knew that it meant a throat that was 0.0005 over the diameter of the caliber.

Last edited:
When you talk about bore rider I need to see if it's the same term I've heard. I think some people call a parallel throat. The throat on mine we'llit on mine will be 0.2645. Is that what you and Dave mean by a bore rider? I've seen it mentioned in print but never knew that it meant a throat that was 0.0005 over the diameter of the caliber.

Dave is pretty specific about the term bore ride. It is printed on his reamers. He will explain it best. He will how fast it is but if you give him a call, ask him to explain it what the difference is between having it and not having it. Dave is the Einstein in mind when it comes to tooling. Just keep him on track with the question. What is the difference in measurement and where of a reamer with and without a bore ride?

I have never used the term parallel throat.

VA SILENT ARSENAL,

On my freebore, I used an interpretation of a method taught to me by Dave. Using it I come up with 0.202 freebore and COAL of 3.040 for the Nosler 142 ABLR. On the Hornady 143 ELD-X, because it has a shorter boat tail, it can stick out farther from the case and still be at or below the boat tail/neck junction. The limiting factor on the ELD-X is the COAL allowed for from the Magazine. With a 3.110 magazine, if I was to hold COAL to 3.09 it gives me a freebore of 0.252 using the method given me.

What was not clear to me is if I add to the calculated freebore a 0.020 for bullet jump because I'm measuring where the bullet will hit the lands (I believe). I have an email into Dave to clarify.

Holding FB to 0.220 will give the 0.020 jump for the ABLRs, with the shoulder and boattail inline and a COAL of ~3.03. With the ELD-X's and that same 0.220 FB the BT will be below the bottom of the neck and hold the COAL down to ~3.05.

Again if I did not have the magazine box as a limiter I believe I could have a COAL of ~3.11 for the ELD-X's. This would put the top for the BT and the bottom of the neck at their intersection. But of course I have a 3.11 magazine limit, need to add clearance for feeding and would like to have more than one bullet option. Thus the current thought of a 0.220 FB.

How does my FB compare to yours? When you recommended way over 0.200 I was thinking 0.220 was good.

How do my measurements compare with you are seeing for the ELD-X on the 6.5 WSM?

Why not put up chamber/reamer drawings so you can get a comparative to see differences?

I have only heard the tern "bore-rider" use to describe bullets. Bullet main body bearing surface bore diameter with numerous thin drive bands groove diameter to seal the bore but significantly decrease engraving and frictional resistance.

In a chamber as I was taught and see in techincal prints and definitions.

Neck>Step>Freebore>Leade>Bore
Step+Freebore+Leade=Throat

Step typically 45° centerline.
Freebore is the, usually, parallel @ groove diameter to + 0.0005.
Leade 1-30°+ to centerline.
Throat is the sum of all 3 lengths.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.