6.5wsm vs 325wsm

flacracker

trying to decide between the two. 95% of my hunting is on deer, but may hunt elk next year. I favor the 6.5, but worry that it may not be enough on bigger game. give it to me straight. I am looking at the same type of rifle Ian just finished.
thanks in God
Pete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pete,
What you should do is try to talk George out of the 7mm WSM NonTypical that he built for himself - that rifle shot three shots inside 0.1" when he broke it in!!!

If most of your shooting is deer sized critters go with the 6.5, .270 or 7mm WSM. If and when you hunt elk take a .325 or .338, they need bigger bullets and harder hitting. Nothing wrong with owning lots of rifles, right!

Pete,
I shoot and love the 6.5 WSM, in fact my wife won the Iowa 1000 yd State Championship with one I built, would be a super flat, hellacious deer rifle and would work for elk also, so my pick would be it over the 325 WSM, far better bullet selection for one.....
However, for an all around hunting rifle in the WSM cases that you could run to WalMart for ammo if you had to....the 7 WSM is the way to go.

Hi sierra22,

Would'nt that be "Tnousands of ELK", dont forget they only become MOOSE after the have swam across the Atlantic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centrepunch, you got it a little wrong my good sir.

It's ELG, but it's still all moose, the alces alces species. Elk are cervus elaphus.

It is best of the RED DEER cervus scotius that swim across. When they find their way off your fogged-in peat covered rock they swim across to us. This excercise builds a lot of muscle and they are christened cervus atlanticus (30% bigger)when they wash ashore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(hopefully the smileys will let you know I'm not flaming. Spelling it out just to be sure, americans are a bit funny about norwegian humour sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Pete,

did ya see the results I was getting with a 7WSM that Chris Matthews built me...

no need to fire form and supper flat shooter with the 162 amax.. tested to 1115 yards yeaterday... 27MOA... at 2950 fps.... yikes....!!!!
sorta almost has me asking why I have been shooting 30 cals for so long.. almost...

I lean toward the 6.5 because they just fly so nice. At the WSM velocities, look out. If concerned about penetration at elevated velocities, just change the bullet.

Match or poly tips for deer, premiums for elk if that concerns you.

Ric, saw your 7WSM post. Very impressive indeed. I am also having a love affair with the 162gr Amax. Out of my two 7RM's they are shooting a bit flatter. Maybe the northern air works better.

I am certainly having a hard time launching expensive 30cals after seeing what this amax does at LR. For light game, this should be an ideal bullet at extended distances too.

I am having success with Re25 in my 7RM. Not sure if that would be a good mix in the WSM case but worth a try. I would have thought h4831 a bit fast for the 7mm heavies. I guess not.

good stuff...

Jerry

Sierra22,
I laughed so hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif when i read your study of swimming dear that i fell of my chair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif but as i was lying on the floor i remembered a debate titled "When does an Elk become a Moose"? The answer was when it crosses the Atlantic.

That fogged in peat covered rock you refer to is Scotland, i live in beutifull green England, They still paint their faces blue and run around in skirts up there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Moose and the European Elk carry the same scientific name alces alces although the North American Elk or Moose also carries the name alces machlis americanus and the European Elk cervus alces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
both are described as being the largest of the dear family with flowing palmated antlers.

To confuse things even more the Elk as our American friends know it carries the same scientific name as our "native to Britain" Red dear, cervus elaphus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif but we clearly see by photographic evidence that there is a definate difference.
The Wapiti which is usually called the Elk also has a different scientific name cervus canadiensis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It seems to me that cervus elaphus scotia would become cervus elaphus norwegis when it reached your shores, before it became cervus atlanticus on emerging in the americas.
Anyway can we claim them all as european before they all started taking swimming lessons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

PS. Ooh and appologies for the a slight hi-jacking of this thread

CP

Your saying there's actually more to Britain than peat, fog, rain and the inevitable soggy boots? I don't know if I really believe that... But then again, I'm surprised Brits as a race hasn't been wiped out by trenchfoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, been stalking in Scotland last 10 yrs maybe it's time for me to see a bit more than forests and heather hills. If you have access to stalking and wellies, you're certainly living on a superb piece of land.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.