6.5wsm reloader 26

jsergee

so I've had this rifle for sometime and finally got around to doing load development. Needless to say it didn't like any powders besides rl26. Tried h1000, retumbo, imr 8133... with no good results. I'm shooting 143gr eldx's. Anyways I thought I'd just post this in here if anyone else is looking for 6.5wsm info. Started at 60-65grs of rl26 and hit pressure at 63gr. Then did from 61.6-62.8 and found 62.6 is going to be the best for my gun.... speed was 3110fps out of a 24" with the suppressor on.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 268
I tried Retumbo, RL26, H1000 in my 6.5WSM also, with Berger 140 gr Elite Hunter bullets. I get a little slower velocity but better consistency in my 26" barrel with H4831SC. Sweet spot seems to be around 3135 fps with this powder. I was over 3200 fps with the other powders but the accuracy/grouping was not there.

so I've had this rifle for sometime and finally got around to doing load development. Needless to say it didn't like any powders besides rl26. Tried h1000, retumbo, imr 8133... with no good results. I'm shooting 143gr eldx's. Anyways I thought I'd just post this in here if anyone else is looking for 6.5wsm info. Started at 60-65grs of rl26 and hit pressure at 63gr. Then did from 61.6-62.8 and found 62.6 is going to be the best for my gun.... speed was 3110fps out of a 24" with the suppressor on.
That is a good barrel you have there!

Yes necking down 270 wsm Norma brass is the way to go. Freebore is key in these cartridges as doughnuts will form. My node for a 143 out of a 1:8 24" benchmark was 3100.

Yes, necking down Norma 270WSM brass here also. I got the Lee die set and had them hone the neck out to my requested size, then I use an expander mandrel.

Yes necking down 270 wsm Norma brass is the way to go. Freebore is key in these cartridges as doughnuts will form. My node for a 143 out of a 1:8 24" benchmark was 3100.
Thanks.
I always neck turn after necking down so donuts have never been an issue.

yes, I'm using Winchester brass. My chamber is a tight neck so I also have to do a bit of neck turning.

Yes, necking down Norma 270WSM brass here also. I got the Lee die set and had them hone the neck out to my requested size, then I use an expander mandrel.
I'm doing the same thing except I had a set of whidden dies made

I use 270WSM brass and turn the necks.
As stated above freebore and neck dia. are key to this cartridge. My reamer has .180 freebore and .296 neck. I tried the no turn neck it didnt work nearly as good as .296

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.