6.5WSM parent brass

mort9687

so i just got a steal on a 6.5wsm from a buddy. I;m wondering though what the parent case is for the 6.5? do i start with .270 wsm brass or 7mm or 300? im a rookie at reloading but have a buddy who will help me out with it.

It's a wildcat but mine is made from 270 WSM brass. I just neck down in the full length die then turn the necks.

If you have a way to check it with a 270 WSM go/no go guage that would be the smart thing. If it goes no the no go then check it again with a 7mm WSM go/no go set. Then you will know.

A smith should be able to do this if you don't have a set. Nominal charge is cheaper than missing fingers.

traded him a savage 111 LRH in 6.5-284 norma with a shot out barrel (2600 rounds) for a browning abolt II with a 28" Krieger barrel. Its never been fired. He wanted to build a 6.5 RUM, what he says, and wanted the savage as the donor rifle. I believe my WSM started life as a 270 wsm but im going to have a smith here check it out for me.

I'm running Norma 270 wsm brass through a full length Redding 6.5-300 wsm sizing die.

I do the same however, I use bushings & step down in two steps. My Norma brass is holding up really well, 3rd or 4th loading pushing a 160 Matrix @ 3100fps.

OP, I think you'll really enjoy that WSM I sure love mine. There are several threads on here discussing the 6.5 short mags, lots of data & info to be found.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.