6.5wsm budget long range rifle project 2012

HntWhtTail

So I have been working on my first dedicated long range rifle this year, project was supposed to be budget long range build..Originally I was going to convert my old 25/06 into a 6.5 sherman.. but I procrastinated, as I do and then tripped on a good deal at a local pawn shop that got me started down a different path. I picked up a savage model 10 with accu trigger in 300wsm, then started ordering parts.
Build consists of:
Savage 10 $300
Bell and Carlson Medalist $227
McGowan 28" stainless $375
varmint contour
Stainless recoil lug $28
Stainless Trigger guard $23
Weaver tactical base $20
Warne 30mm rings $40
Leupold MK4 3.5 10 $675(ebay)
100 Norma 270wsm brass $110
box of 140 vlds $35
box of 140 nosler ABs $35
Had barrel put head spaced $50
Sold factory barrel and stock
on ebay $-50
Grand total, $1850
not couting primer or powder cause i have lots of that sitting around.

Accu trigger is breaking clean at 3lbs and will probably get replaced or adjusted.
Groups are already starting to break the .5 inch mark at 100 with the accubonds, the bergers are a little more picky I have got a few groups under an inch. velocity is creeping past 3300 with primers just starting to flatten out, I can deffintaly go faster but the accuracy with the hotter loads isnt there (yet) I will probably replace the bolt head with one from PTG. All this for that one shot in a spot I have been hunting my whole life and didnt know I could shoot cause its 650-750 yards and I never thought i could...Stay tuned for more range results, and hopefully a picture of a dead deer.......

Attachments

• 2012-08-29_18-48-57_868-1.jpg
    2012-08-29_18-48-57_868-1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 80
Thats what I was thinking, my 25/06 will hit at those distances, but I thought a little more bullet and speed wouldn't hurt anything...trying some once fired brass next trip to the range, also read something concerning the vlds and seating depth might try and seat then in father savage short mag and the throat have me kinda perplexed. I can only get them out around 2.9 mag capacity of 1 figured it to be a single shot anyways. I am going to push then back towards suggested oal, also going to try vh powder if I can find any in town..

Good looking rig, it seems as though the 6.5WSM is getting a good bit of love the past 6 months or so :rolleyes:.

Don't forget to post your kill pics.

Good hunting.

Got back to the range finally..scrapped the bergers for now as I just cant get them to shoot. Settled on a load(its about time) 140 accubonds seated 2.874 over 65.5gr h1000 federal magnum primers. velocity is averaging about 3220, Temperature is around 55 degrees compared to 80 last time I checked. smallest group measured .386 that will have to do, now to make some more clean the barrel and shoot one to see where it hits get zeroed fire at distance and hope it stays consistent then...cross fingers and hope to see a deer, who knows maybe an elk under ideal conditions at 300 to 500 yards..

That is a good looking rig, and sounds like it is a shooter as well. I would not think twice about 500 yards on an elk with it, assuming a good broadside shot.
I am shooting Berger hunting VLD's out of two rifles. My .270 WSM likes 140's touching the lands, and the 7 Rem mag likes them jammed 10 thou into the lands. Fortunately both these rifles are made on custom actions that have enough magazine length to accommodate these rounds.
Does Wyatt Outdoors make their magazine boxes to fit the Savage actions?

I'm building the very same rig For my soon to be wife. taking my savage 11 300 wsm putting a 26" Criterion tube I won at a shoot, the same stock as yours except the tan with black webbing ( that we are going to inlet to accept the bottom metal) action and barrel will be ceracoated black. I have all the parts except the stock, It should be here tomorrow. after seeing your rig, wow Im really getting excited. I am going to be sending the barrel off to be cryo'ed, I want to see if it does extend barrel life. GREAT looking setup you have there. Jay

I usually clean my rifles then shoot a cold/clean bore shot re zero then let it cool completely and confirm zero. I think this is more consitent than shooting until it is starting to fowl and then hoping the last shot was not the one to start affecting accuracy. I know there are differing opinions on the process. but accuracy does start to go as a barrel gets dirty. and with this guns short barrel life I cant shoot it enough to say accuracy stays consistent to 50 or 100 rounds. I have to get it to shoot that cold bore shot in the right spot with the fewest rounds. A local gunsmith has a reamer set up with a longer throat he made for bergers, after this season I might pull it apart and have him re cut it. For now though I will shoot it, with the noslers.

Thanks for the info. I had thought about that round as my next rifle. Seems like the barrel life is a little short.... I'm liking my 6.5-06. Its at 3004 FPS w/ H4831SC running a 140 gr Berger. Looks like I can up it a bit with another powder. We'll see. Thanks for the info. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.