6.5wsm budget long range rifle project 2012

I know doubling the barrel life is huge, I was thinking if it has only 700 to a 1000 round normal life expectancy, that doubling would mean 1400 to 2000 is all. We shoot alot and that would mean swapping the barrel in a year to a year and a half. we did get it put together yesterday, just to see how it all looks assembled, now we are gonna tear it down and send the barrel off. here are a couple of pic's of the "rock" as I call it.lol 1108121923.jpg

1108121828.jpg

nice, interested in seeing this gun in action as well as down the road on how the bath helped or not.

Well as expected, range time, load development, scouting, walking, glassing, drop charts....then no bucks at distance, in fact no bucks at all for two days. then with 2 hours of daylight before I went home, out stepped this 4 point, then he ducked back into the brush just feet from the orange fence post...My dilemma do I take the shot? or do I chance it that a bigger buck shows up ensuring a long night? The buck stood for a second straight away looking back the only clear shot was a neck shot. I debated this over and over in my head for about 10 seconds..then leveled the cross hairs, checked wind out of habit. and fired down he went the range was 115 yards....So much for a long range buck this year. The 140 accubond hit with velocity at impact about 3020fps, 2800 ftlbs of energy. The bullet entered and totally destroyed the spine, leaving three ragged exit holes(probably pieces of bullet and spine) so much for the cape. Sorry no pics of the wound it was total destruction, massive trauma blood shot etc. one last chance for elk next weekend.

Attachments

• 2012-11-18_21-03-45_523(1).jpg
    2012-11-18_21-03-45_523(1).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 56
Hey, Congradulations on the nice deer. Sometimes things don't go as planned but at least you got a deer. I have hunted here in AZ. and a lot of times I didn't even see a shootable deer.
Good luck with you're elk hunt.

I just dropped off a 308 barrel to get nitrided today and should have it back on wed. morning.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.