6.5PRC vs. 7mm RM vs 280 ai out of shorter barrel

I'm still trying to settle out a caliber for a new rifle. I was going back and forth between a 6.5PRC and 7mmRM. Then I heard more about the 280 ai.

It'll be built on a Tikka action with a magnum bolt face because I have one. Plan is for a proof carbon wrapped barrel, a lightweight stock that fits me well and this rifle will be suppressed.

The suppressor leads me to the question. I need a barrel length that is reasonable. Ideal would be 22" or shorter, but I'm not sure any of these are going to be that good with a short barrel.

It'll be used on deer and elk, maybe antelope though I might stay with a 6.5CM on antelope.

No, I'm not interested in other calibers/cartridges at the moment.

Do either of these 3 shine with shorter barrels?

Last edited:
I have always had a soft spot for the 280 ai. It is beltless. Less powder, less recoil, and only about 100' fps less velocity than the overbore 7rm. So barrel life is better. If you're gonna use a 7 with your magnum action, I would go the one may be one of Ackley's best.

Less recoil is nice on light rifles. I would go with 6.5 PRC for that reason. The short barrel will effect them all the same, so no advantage between the 3 IMO

I like the the 6.5 PRC but he has a magnum action. I would go up rather than down. A 30 Sherman perhaps.

A short or standard action at the most for the 6.5 PRC, but that's my line of thinking.

I like the the 6.5 PRC but he has a magnum action. I would go up rather than down. A 30 Sherman perhaps.

A short or standard action at the most for the 6.5 PRC, but that's my line of thinking.

It's not a full magnum action I guess. Tikka actions are all the same, but it has a magnum bolt face which as I understand it, is needed for the PRC.

It's not a full magnum action I guess. Tikka actions are all the same, but it has a magnum bolt face which as I understand it, is needed for the PRC.

Yep. Magnum bolt. It will fit in a standard and short.

Honestly don't know much the Tikka action, so limited advice there.

I have a thing about belts, so don't own a belted caliber.

But if you want a big 7 that will work, be worth looking at the 7wsm or the 7ss.

The wsm should be cheaper to do, but the SS should take the checkered.

I'm still trying to settle out a caliber for a new rifle. I was going back and forth between a 6.5PRC and 7mmRM. Then I heard more about the 280 ai.

It'll be built on a Tikka action with a magnum bolt face because I have one. Plan is for a proof carbon wrapped barrel, a lightweight stock that fits me well and this rifle will be suppressed.

The suppressor leads me to the question. I need a barrel length that is reasonable. Ideal would be 22" or shorter, but I'm not sure any of these are going to be that good with a short barrel.

It'll be used on deer and elk, maybe antelope though I might stay with a 6.5CM on antelope.

No, I'm not interested in other calibers/cartridges at the moment.

Do either of these 3 shine with shorter barrels?
7mm will work

So if you're going to use a magnum action that for the most part rules out the 280AI unless you were willing to get another bolt.

Secondly what bullets are you planning on shooting. The tikka magazines can limit the really heavy 7mm bullets to 3.4" OAL. Out of your 3 choices I think the 6.5 PRC would be the best fit due to the 2.9-3.0 OAL for the 6.5PRC. I see that the 6.5 PRC would be able to be maximized in the tikka action whereas the 7mm Rem Mag would be limited in the tikka magazine.

All Tikka T3 actions are long actions. The shorter calibers are handled by using the different bolt stops available. There are three choices: long, medium and short. The magazines are also all the same length. Tikka incorporates a fixed spacer inside the back end of the magazine to accommodate the medium and shorter cartridges.

Since the 6.5 PRC was designed to shoot longer bullets, most shooters build theirs on a medium length action.

The 6.5 PRC is a beltless case and require a magnum bolt face. The 7mm RM is a belted case that requires a mag bolt face (which you have) along with a long action stroke. The 280 AI requires a standard bolt face and a long action stroke. Both the 280 AI and the 7mmRM would require long magazines to match the bolt stroke. Probably easier just to stick with the magnums: 6.5 PRC if your current action is medium or short stroke. 7mm RM if your current action stroke is long.

There are other manufacturers that make pre-fit barrels (both fixed shoulder and barrel nut varieties) for the Tikka actions. PM me if you want more info.

All Tikka T3 actions are long actions. The shorter calibers are handled by using the different bolt stops available. There are three choices: long, medium and short. The magazines are also all the same length. Tikka incorporates a fixed spacer inside the back end of the magazine to accommodate the medium and shorter cartridges.

Since the 6.5 PRC was designed to shoot longer bullets, most shooters build theirs on a medium length action.

The 6.5 PRC is a beltless case and require a magnum bolt face. The 7mm RM is a belted case that requires a mag bolt face (which you have) along with a long action stroke. The 280 AI requires a standard bolt face and a long action stroke. Both the 280 AI and the 7mmRM would require long magazines to match the bolt stroke. Probably easier just to stick with the magnums: 6.5 PRC if your current action is medium or short stroke. 7mm RM if your current action stroke is long.

There are other manufacturers that make pre-fit barrels (both fixed shoulder and barrel nut varieties) for the Tikka actions. PM me if you want more info.

I think azsugarbear makes a pretty good case for the 6.5 PRC, of those 3 at least it seems to be the best match up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.