6.5PRC Reloading Data Collection

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

Hey All,
I have sifted over the few 6.5prc loads that are out there, both at mfg websites and here in various threads. It would be good to try and gather these in one spot. I know folks are sensitive to putting their data out there for a number of reasons but handloaders for this newer cartridge could really use more info, particularly with lighter bullets than 140gn and with powders other than Retumbo, RL25/26,H1000, N565, etc. As an example, I have some Barnes TTSX 120gn and IMR7828SSC and very little idea of where to start.
Thanks for the help!

Hornady has data for 120gr with 7828SSC on their app. Data costs $1 and was worth every penny for me as it goes from 120gr to 153gr. It doesn't have every powder, but it has more than the other sources. Between that and the Barnes seating depth info from their data you should be able to figure out a good starting point for that combo.

As far as factory available data:
Barnes
Hodgdon
Hornady app

I have had better luck with faster powders with bullets lighter than 140 class. RL-16, H4350 have been more consistent and cleaner burning than the slower powders with less fouling and carbon ring problems. the 120 B-TIP and the 130 AB both worked well with 51-57gr of RL-16 and a 2.850 OAL. the slower powders were always compressed and didn't burn clean the faster powders avoided compressed and both those powders are very stable in temp swings, RL-16 also has the de coppering agents which is always a plus

I just use what "another casual" suggested. The data is there, just have to use your brain and figure out where you want to start with your brass, primer, and powder choices. I use hornady and hodgdon mostly. It provides most of the data needed to get rolling.

I have had better luck with faster powders with bullets lighter than 140 class. RL-16, H4350 have been more consistent and cleaner burning than the slower powders with less fouling and carbon ring problems. the 120 B-TIP and the 130 AB both worked well with 51-57gr of RL-16 and a 2.850 OAL. the slower powders were always compressed and didn't burn clean the faster powders avoided compressed and both those powders are very stable in temp swings, RL-16 also has the de coppering agents which is always a plus
I have H4350 and H4831. Did you develop a load for H4350 and the 120gn Btip?

I just use what "another casual" suggested. The data is there, just have to use your brain and figure out where you want to start with your brass, primer, and powder choices. I use hornady and hodgdon mostly. It provides most of the data needed to get rolling.
For some reason, the Reloading App will not load. Why no desktop version?

Thanks. I have that one but I just found this Barnes data for anyone else interested in 120 -130gn loads:

At last count, I load for 12 rifle and 4 pistol cartridges but this is the first time I'm leaning on folks heavily for info! I appreciate the help.
I guess I don't see it as being that hard. If Barnes doesn't have the data you have to pick the powder company and see if they do. This is the part where we are required to use our brains. For example you can compare H1000 for the 120 to a bullet you use, like a 143. Looking at charge weights for the 120 vs the 143 they are dang near the same. I'd drop to the 2/3 level and ladder test charge weight.