6.5prc Hornady vs ADG brass?

Cheap brass certainly has its place. All I use in woods guns and AR's usually. What does not make sense to me is to shoot a Premium bullet from a boutique manufacturer and handicap it with substandard components. The bullet and powder make up the majority of the cost of the load. I think cheap brass should be matched with other comparable components in quality. At least that is what I do.

Brass is also reusable and the higher quality the brass is to start with the more times you can reload it. If you're only getting four or five loads on your "cheap brass" but 8-10 or more on your "expensive brass" that high end brass suddenly become much more reasonably priced.

Not fair? Really?

With 4.5 million gun owners supposedly in the U.S. how do you propose to control anything with regard to components and component selection?

If a manufacturer hasn't done all the work it takes to get his product up to the level of performance they want and need to succeed, they need to retire back to the shop and work until they do. You don't enter into the field of component manufacturing if you question the quality and performance of your product. You as a manufacturer can certainly state some limitations regarding quality and performance such as velocity ranges but no one tells us what cases to use. They'd be laughed off the field.
You missed the entire point of my post. I'm out of this discussion. You all do whatever you want. Its your money.

Haven't had any issues with Hornady 6.5 PRC brass. If brass life is decent I'll be hard pressed to switch to something double the price. 200 yard zero check group below.

Attachments

• 20191013_165514.jpg
    20191013_165514.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 391
It sounds a little like you may be missing out to a degree on what to me it the most satisfying and fun part of our hobby. I've been handloading and tinkering with rifles nearly 50 years. Every rifle, cartridge, and new bullet teaches me something new. My goal is never 1Moa, 1/2MOA, etc. It is always to see just how good I can make it. Being never truly satisfied is what keeps me trying to improve, and is the basis for learning a better way. I'm not saying you are wrong, don't take it that way. I'm just saying you may be missing some of the true satisfaction and pride you can get from this hobby.
I used to do that but now I don't have time for all the different load work ups nor do I honestly like to really do anymore to be honest. Since this is a dedicated hunting rig that I don't want to burn the barrel out and will never see greater than 400 yards, 1 moa is all I want and all I have time for. I knows it's capable of that because it does better than that with factory rounds.

I used to do that but now I don't have time for all the different load work ups nor do I honestly like to really do anymore to be honest. Since this is a dedicated hunting rig that I don't want to burn the barrel out and will never see greater than 400 yards, 1 moa is all I want and all I have time for. I knows it's capable of that because it does better than that with factory rounds.
I am in the same boat. With the rifles I have these days it doesn't seem to matter as much component for component. I also seldom shoot past 450 with a hunting rifle. I am using Hornady Brass from my 6.5PRC with the initial goal of MOA to 500. As is often the case I still ended up averaging 2.5" groups at 400 with the 3 different bullets used with Berger 130VLDH actually being the worst at 3" with RL22, Hornady Brass, and WLR primers. I ended up taking my antelope at about 380 yards with the Berger as a first test (I hadn't killed anything bigger than a prairie dog with Bergers). I have just started my 3rd loading with my first set of 100 brass and they are holding up nicely. I will probably not even get into the next 100 new brass for a decade as loads have been developed and this rifle will not see a lot of action outside of hunt prep (hunting gun) so I am glad I don't have the extra $100 tied up in brass.

I know ADG is often compared to lapua brass as far as quality but is it worth double the price? Currently you can find 6.5prc brass for about 40$ per 50 while ADG is upwards of 75$ per 50. My plan is to buy 100 pieces. I won't be doing a ton of shooting. I am going to be reloading some hammer bullets and I simply want sub 1 MOA accuracy out to 400 yards so I'm not sure it's worth the crazy price tag but maybe it is. Thanks!

I bought 100 rounds of 6.5 PRC Bertram brass, from Bertram Bullet Co. I paid $173.00 for 100 rounds. I've loaded 15 pieces of that brass, and shot it once. I have 85 pieces that is still new. I would gladly sell you all 100 pieces if you are interested? Will take $75.00 for all 100 rounds if you will pay shipping?

I've had excellent luck with ADG in 28 nosler and 6mm creed. If you're spending the money for those Hammer bullets, I'd put it in ADG. One caveat - your rifle might prefer Hornady. I have loaded for three different 6.5 creeds that preferred Hornady over Lapua brass and it was a big difference in accuracy.

OP,
over the years I have found that except for the primer, brass ends up being one of the least expensive components on a per round basis because it is reusable..... unless you are firing overpressure loads all the time. Some brands require more initial prep than others in order to show consistency down range.
So, don't worry about the cost so much; rather find what shoots the best for you in your rifle system out of the brands in stock and go with that choice. once you find what you like, get 200 or 300 cases of the same lot for your rifle.

For me, I always had bad timing with one particular brand name. When I was ready to order they were seemingly always out of stock for too long of a time for me to wait, so I went another direction.
Thanks for the opportunity to share my view.

John R

if you don't have time to work up loads and you don't like doing it anymore, id just shoot the factory ammo and not buy 100 brass. still fun to shoot tho.

JMO. If you're not going to shoot much and are not going to through it fast. Spend the extra money it's only 35 dollars and it will last forever and pay for itself

if you don't have time to work up loads and you don't like doing it anymore, id just shoot the factory ammo and not buy 100 brass. still fun to shoot tho.
The current ammo has explosive results at these short distances. I did not like the lack of penetration I got. Yes it killed the buck but what if I hit shoulder bone? Could have been a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.