6.5prc deer load.

shootallday

Had my m18 mauser 6.5 prc out yesterday to test some loads for deer hunting. I'm not trying to push it this year for long range stuff just a cheap and simple deer load to try out. I really like the rifle I may pickup a 243 and 7 mag some day.

Loaded speer hotcor 140s with h1000 col is 2.850 wlr primer with new hornady brass. Fun just had a older Burris FF2 3-9x40 and talleys. Only did 3 round groups, I only have 35 cases and was not sure were I'd hit pressure. The brass is very soft, even with starting loads I get ejector marks. Did 56.0-59.0 in half grain increments.

I really should have had a better rest, could not get steady, so shot prone. Even then with rear no bag I was not as still as I would have liked.

Looks like I'll stick with the 57.0 load, but will have to reboot since the brass is now fired to check. I didn't get any pressure for hard bolt lift which is easy to feel with the m18. Ejector marks were getting worse with the higher loads but not bad. Primers still round.

The 59.0 group I pulled the 2nd shot, so it could have been better.

IMG_20200614_162819_hdr.jpg

I have been thinking about one of those rifles..glad to see the review, and great group.
thanks
Ya there a great gun, more so for the price eurooptics has them for. All the ones I've seen have shot really good. Very well made, kinda like a 700 and a Browning had a baby lol. Excellent trigger to, I've set this one at 2.5lb it will go under one pound.

Had my m18 mauser 6.5 prc out yesterday to test some loads for deer hunting. I'm not trying to push it this year for long range stuff just a cheap and simple deer load to try out. I really like the rifle I may pickup a 243 and 7 mag some day.

Loaded speer hotcor 140s with h1000 col is 2.850 wlr primer with new hornady brass. Fun just had a older Burris FF2 3-9x40 and talleys. Only did 3 round groups, I only have 35 cases and was not sure were I'd hit pressure. The brass is very soft, even with starting loads I get ejector marks. Did 56.0-59.0 in half grain increments.

I really should have had a better rest, could not get steady, so shot prone. Even then with rear no bag I was not as still as I would have liked.

Looks like I'll stick with the 57.0 load, but will have to reboot since the brass is now fired to check. I didn't get any pressure for hard bolt lift which is easy to feel with the m18. Ejector marks were getting worse with the higher loads but not bad. Primers still round.

The 59.0 group I pulled the 2nd shot, so it could have been better.

View attachment 198941
looks like a very good node at 57- 57.5 very nice good luck with it

I know a couple guys using the ADG 6.5 brass and they have had nothing but good things to say about it
I'll us this hornady for this season but plan to get the adg for next season, the ejector marks are bugging me with the hdy. I may go for the gunwerks once fired brass to save a few bucks.

Nice rifle driving Shootallday!
The 140 hot cors were never very nice to me. I'm sitting with about 250 of them left over and have yet to find a home for them in 6.5 creeds, 6.5-06 or 6.5/257 Bob A.I. (all 8 twist).
Did you get a chance to "chrono" them? And knowing that every rifle is different did you find a "sweet" seating distance for your PRC?
Randy

Nice rifle driving Shootallday!
The 140 hot cors were never very nice to me. I'm sitting with about 250 of them left over and have yet to find a home for them in 6.5 creeds, 6.5-06 or 6.5/257 Bob A.I. (all 8 twist).
Did you get a chance to "chrono" them? And knowing that every rifle is different did you find a "sweet" seating distance for your PRC?
Randy
Thanks I've had good luck with speer, you can't get to worried that there ojives may not be as consistent as a higher priced bullet but they work for me. I don't have a comparator but I should be about 30 thousands off the lands at 2.850 which is a perfect .100 shorter then .030 of with the 147 eldm.

No chrono yet, it's on The list to get. I think these should be going 2900 ish, for deer about 400 yards out they will be fine next season I'll mess with some better loads and new brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.