6.5mm x 47 Lapua Review

I would go with a 26" barrel or longer. You lose about 25-30 fps per inch in this caliber for shorter barrels. If you are doing it yourself, try Pac-Nor. I have gotten several good barrels from them and they make them for your Savage.

Fantastic! Thank you for the story and photos. I knew the cartridge could do it. Alan, just curious, what length barrel is the rifle and what powder are you using?

It's 6 months later and just found your request. Sorry 'bout that. My light Pierce started with a 26" #3 Broughton, 1:8. A year after having it built I had it cut back to 24.5", from the breech end to get it to balance better. Lost a bit but not much.

I plan on playing with the soon to be released Nosler 129 gr Accbond LR. Hope to report some success before too long.

In my heavy Surgeon 6.5x47, I did try the 140 Berger Hybrid and 40.8 gr H4350 gives me 2776 fps and incredible numerous 5-shot groups in the .26 to .3 moa range. These are seated to just touch the lands or as much as .010" off.

Alan

I do not own a 6.5x47 Lapua, but have built quite a few for people and being interested in the performance of the rifles I have some comments about them based on my observations and there
comments.

In testing and loading, I have found that the cartridge is very forgiving and not finicky about loading
(A very good trait in my opinion)

All of the rifles I have built have shot well with 120 grain to 140 grain bullets and with many different powders.

Accuracy has been less than 1/2 MOA on all of them with very little work on loads.

Even the Factory ammo shoots well below 1 MOA.

Reports from the owners have been glowing, and hunting results are equal or better in the praise department.

Some of the guys are taking 600+ yard shots on White tails with no issues (Losses) .

So in my opinion, The 6.5x47 Lapua is a well rounded cartridge with great potential for Hunting and targets.

I would have one if I did not already have a 260 Rem.

J E CUSTOM

Swarovski scopes are great but not everyone can afford the $2200+ price tag. Neither do I suggest a Sportview for a custom rifle. I suggest you buy the best scope you can afford. And best is for you, not what others say or what you hear on TV or what certain celebrities use. Take all the info in consideration but up to certain prices, more expensive does not mean smaller groups. Warranty is also very important to consider.

I'm having one built with a Rem action. Broughton barrel. B&Carlson stock( forget the specifics) and waiting on a Jewell trigger. I hope to be shooting in 3-4 weeks.

Reloader 17 also works very well with the 140's. My most accurate load was 39.3 grains and I am getting 2845 fps.

For banging steel the 123 Scenars are my favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 92
Joe at OTM Tactical says 38gr Varget with Berger 130gr Hybrids in Lapua Brass is the magic formula. Between myself, and 5 other guys using the same combo, all guns shoot in the .0's-.1's late to this conversation, but just switched to 6.5x47with great results. Hunting and match!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.