6.5mm or 300 wsm

gibbscmc

Hey guys, new to the forum. I posted a week or so on a different forum, and got lots of feed back. I want to have a rifle built and I am completely undecided what I want to do. I am an avid deer hunter and this gun will be used for this as well as target.

I know both the 6.5mm x55 swede or the 300 wsm will get the job done, but what would be the best option, for 500 to 600 yards, accuracy, ,, long lasting, less barrel and action where.

I will be going with a model 70 action and have a 300 wsm availible at a real good price, practically new. but i like the idea of having something different in the 6.5mm.

I do not reload or have never, but am considering this as well. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen

I will be straight up honest and say I have no experience whatsoever with the 6.5. However I do have a couple of 300 WSMs and me like!
They got a little more whallop than an '06 but dont punish shouldrs like the 300 win mag. Everyday the 300 WSM becomes more common place among hunters and shooters alike and thats for a reason. I think its a great cartridge and my next rifle will be in 300 WSM.
I too like the idea of having something different like a 6.5. Its intruiging but at the same time that glamor may wear off quick when you have to search for ammo and deal with all the other things associated with a lesser known caliber.
Either way you go you should absolutely start reloading. Its an addictive hobby and great way to improve accuracy, save some money and have fun. I like it becasue it gives me something to do when I cant go shooting but is shooting related!

Hey guys, new to the forum. I posted a week or so on a different forum, and got lots of feed back. I want to have a rifle built and I am completely undecided what I want to do. I am an avid deer hunter and this gun will be used for this as well as target.

I know both the 6.5mm x55 swede or the 300 wsm will get the job done, but what would be the best option, for 500 to 600 yards, accuracy, ,, long lasting, less barrel and action where.

I will be going with a model 70 action and have a 300 wsm available at a real good price, practically new. but i like the idea of having something different in the 6.5mm.

I do not reload or have never, but am considering this as well. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen

The 300 will probably be the easiest to find ammo for and will do a good job.

I have a 7 WSM and feel that It is slightly better at the longer distance because of the
bullet selection in the weights that perform best in the WSMs. Both the 300 and the 7mm
perform well with 140,150,and 160 grain bullets and the balistics are better in the 7mm
bullets in this weight range. also it has the largest case (More case capacity) of all of the
WSMs.

The use of heavy bullets in the WSMs give up to much velocity so they work better with 140s
and 150s for deer size game and 160 + for Elk size game.

In a light rifle the 7mm WSM does not require a muzzle break and the 300 is a little stiff fo
recoil sensitive people.

I do not know much about the 6.5 WSM and ammo availability but I like the bullets.

There is another WSM that you could consider and it is the 270 WSM.

If you don't reload the 300 would be easier to find ammo for.

If you like the 6.5 I would highly recomend the 260 Remington (A 308 case necked down
to 6.5) this is a great round for deer with 120 and 130gr bullets and has very little recoil
plus ammo is easy to find and much cheaper than the WSMs.

All of the cartriges I have mentioned have there place ane would be good for your needs
so look at balistics,recoil,rifle weight,ammo and you will find the one you are looking for.

I Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

The 300 WSM should have more factory ammo available for sure. As mentioned also consider either the 270 WSM and or the 7mmWSM.
All of the above will get you to the distance you want.
A muzzle brake may be in order for you if you have recoil sensitivity or if you want to be able to spot your own shots.

I agree with the above statements about finding ammo the 300wsm will be more available but personally i would go with a 6.5 maybe not the sweede but i like the selection of 6.5 bullets and their high BC. Plus i agree you do need to start reloading to take advantage of all those bullet options. Factory stuff limits you too much.

I own both a 270wsm and 300wsm and love them both. I have taken a lot of game with the 270wsm and a pretty good pile the the 300 too.

The 300wsm will without a doubt be easiest to find factory ammo for in what you have mentioned.

If you get into LR shooting then sooner or later you will be mixing your own brew.

All the 6.5's are great but if you don't reload it is going to be tough finding what you want.

Always wanted to build a 6.5wsm, still might.

This is a little untimely.

Did you ever consider the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I have a friend with one he loves - great at longer range & easier on the barrel.

Well I have the 300WSM. I use a 208grn Hornady A-max. Using this weight bullet is a great option and will help you really reach out. To use something this heavy you have to reload. The heaviest I have seen in factory is 180grn of some type. This caliber is going to out shine the 6.5's at greater distance for taking game. My current set up with hand loading has the potential to take a Whitetail at 1200yrds. The 6.5's are done at about 800yrds.

If you are seriously considering reloading, then the skies the limit. You could build yourself any 6.5 bullet you want and have a great rifle. The 6.5 Swede is more appealing to me than the 260 Rem. just for the sake of the boiler room. The Swede can essentially out perform the 260 Rem. by 50 to 100fps. It is also a long action where the 260 is a short action which is a greater advantage in the weight realm. So each has its flaws, but both can be very effective when hand loaded.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.