6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
Years ago the 222 Remington was the "thing" in Australia anyway. I think many of these "new" calibers etc are fads. I target shooting tomorrow using my 300 Winchester magnum and checking out where my Woodleigh 400 grain hydros are printing. U might add I'm using a borrowed lead sled for the 416. I used a 222 and 243 for competition shooting many years ago. I must admit that the 243 took a mighty lot of fine tuning with multiple powders, bullets, and primers. Finnicky critter! These days I don't have a 222 or 243 - the former given to my son and the latter to a step son.
I looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor but decided that I'll use my Kimber M84 in 308 topped with a Nighforce scope for target shooting (I shoot mainly at 400 m not yards).
Personally I think it's the shooter who needs the "fine tuning" rather than the cartridge etc.

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )

Just curious about the reason that the 6.5-06 A square is not in this equation? It's a fairly decent cartridge, with good ballistics that are reachable with less powder and a whole lot easier on barrels than some of these cartridges mentioned. I know that it is not a new cartridge, however if I were to build a "6.5" it would be along these lines with a slow-twist, 26 inch barrel.

www.rokslide.com/the-6-5-06-ackley-improved

I have had many 6.5-06's over the past 50 years. I started out with a 10 twist & shot many rodents up to 400 plus yards with the Hornady 129 FB & surplus H4831, when that barrel got shot out, I replaced it with a 9 twist for the 140 Si GK. After that, only 8 twists. The 123 Hornady ELDM at about 3,200 for rodents & a variety of 140's for targets, with velocities about 3,000 fps - all with 26" barrels. Many powders give good results - VN165, R23, Al 4000MR, H1000, R-S Hunter, R-S Magnum, SW4350. Brass is easy to get - 25-06, .270, & .30-06, necked up/down to 6.5, trimmed to spec & neck turned to .288. I know it is an antiquated cartridge with that less than 18-degree shoulder, needs frequent trimming, eats 416R barrels, and has an elongated powder column. All of them shot less than 1" at 200 using cheap often once fired brass of different kinds with a variety of powders.

I have to admit the 6.5 PRC looks good but until brass is easily available at less than $1.25 each I will wait. I already have a rifle that can be re-barreled to 6.5 PRC with no change to bolt face & has the right length magazine for any COAL.

6.5-300 Weatherby!

The 1-8 twist in a factory chambering which is the 6.5 Creed breathed new life in the 6.5 cal the Swede all ready had that figure out the win 264 mag 6.5 mag and 260 were all in 1-9 and some 1-10 twist in the proper twist for long 6.5 bullets they fly flat at a long distance my 6.5 284s 6.5 Swedes and 6.5 prcs are all fine cartridges .A friend of mine is getting pressure before I do in his 264 win mag with the same bullet in my 6.5 prc with 10 grs less powder with 50 fps more vel . Sometimes performance depends on the rifle , bullet choice powder brass reloader experience etc 3 things I don't like about the 264 win mag is the belt , overbore and the free bore or bullet jump . It's all a matter of preference they all will work
I've never understood the hate for belted cases. Yeah the new fat belt less cases look cool and all but what is the issue with the belt? If you are building custom especially, you can set it up to headspace on the shoulder just like every other cartridge out there.

Regarding freebore, what is the issue with a longer freebore? I stopped chasing the lands a long time ago. My 257 Wby has .375" freebore and it's a .25 MOA gun. Eric Cortina also thinks chasing the lands is a waste of time.

I've never understood the hate for belted cases. Yeah the new fat belt less cases look cool and all but what is the issue with the belt? If you are building custom especially, you can set it up to headspace on the shoulder just like every other cartridge out there.
Because if I have to listen to one more Fudd explain to me how the belt makes the case head super-duper strong and it's what they use in Africa on real Africa-Lions because the belt fixes all the head spacing issues that make rifles fail when being charged by elephants, then the Fudd is going to find out for sure if the belt really strengthens the case head or if they can still get a head separation as the doc is pulling a belted case out of the Fudd's sinuses. 🤣

There's nothing WRONG with it, it just doesn't DO anything if the cartridge has anything resembling a shoulder.

In all fairness I still love the 30-30, so I'm not opposed to outdated design features. Just the Fudds that Fudd around about them.

Factory ammo would be an advantage for the majority of hunters who do not reload. Also, good luck finding a 6.5 WSM on the shelf at sportsmans. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6.5 SAUM and the 6.5-284 but the PRC definitely does have some advantages - Lapua Brass, ADG Brass, Hornady Brass. Many companies are starting to chamber for it as well, including Tikka which is going to be a huge hit. To call it a failure has to be a joke, it has tremendous support so far and in my opinion isn't going anywhere for quite a while. If you clarified your post to say "offers no velocity advantage" then you may have an arguing point, but to say there is absolutely no advantage doesn't make much sense.
No flies on the PRC. Expect to see Berger factory loaded ammo now there's Lapua brass.

ADG makes 6.5 SAUM brass too….

don't forget me lol 6.5x300 WSM , picked up a couple bags of Bertram brass for it and Lee dies, neck turning and expander mandrels ELD-X bullets. still a couple months from getting it back from the Gunsmith. only downside WSM magazine restricting overall case length.

Because if I have to listen to one more Fudd explain to me how the belt makes the case head super-duper strong and it's what they use in Africa on real Africa-Lions because the belt fixes all the head spacing issues that make rifles fail when being charged by elephants, then the Fudd is going to find out for sure if the belt really strengthens the case head or if they can still get a head separation as the doc is pulling a belted case out of the Fudd's sinuses. 🤣

There's nothing WRONG with it, it just doesn't DO anything if the cartridge has anything resembling a shoulder.

In all fairness I still love the 30-30, so I'm not opposed to outdated design features. Just the Fudds that Fudd around about them.

They are all good possibilities and not a whole lot of difference in performance.

The key is that the PRC is definitely here for the long haul as is the 300 PRC.

I shoot a necked down 375 Ruger with a lengthened net that pushes 140's at 3400 with better accuracy than any rifle I've ever owned.