6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

So many PRC haters claim it doesn't do anything the 6.5-284 doesn't. Lol. Try running a 6.5-284 in a SA with a 24" barrel. Heck the PRC outruns the 284 version in SA and 24" even with the 6.5-284 in a LA with a 26" barrel.
This rings true to me. I had a 6.5-284 and loved it. 3015 with 140 Bergers in lapua brass out of a long action and 26" tube with h1000 backed off of pressure signs to the node just below. Then the PRC came along and I held out as long as I could. 3030 with 156 Berger's, out of a short action with a 22 inch tube, ADG brass and h1000 at the node just below pressure signs. Point of impact was identical to 143 ELDx factory ammo at 200. I had found a new love and the 6.5-284 had to go. Turned it into a 6-284 and I had another new love 😂.

What do you like better, comparatively ?
The SS. I do not have the clicker issue and am getting 3024 FPS (24" tube) with the Berger 156 and 153.5 pills, no pressure issues and single digit SD and ES 1/4 MOA if I do my part. Will fit in a "true" SA as well and the bullet is perfect BT junction in line with neck/shoulder junction.

The PRC is just another hyped up failure made by Hornady. It offers no advantage over existing rounds…..much like it's big brother.
Doesn't come close to either the 264WM or 6.5 WSM or 6.5 SAUM.
If you want fast and accuracy, the 6.5-300 Weatherby is the real deal.

Cheers.
8B2801E8-383A-44D6-90BE-B68D37FC719F.jpeg

I love my 6.5-300

All the large capacity anythings are barrel burners, there's nothing unique about the 6.5mm bore in that regard. Look at many classic calibers - the 7mm Rem Mag is one of the most overbore factory chambers made, the 25-06 is right behind it, then the 243 Win is chasing them as worse than the 22-250. Run any of them hot and you can kiss the barrel goodbye. 6.5mm is just the popular bore right now because of the high-BC potential. But 7mm is still arguably the best in terms of pure ballistics. 6mm is making a leap forward for lower recoil for self shot spotting. Lot's of niche development happening on parallel tracks is muddling decisions because of competing goals.

Useable barrel life is dropping anyway because accuracy standards are changing - guy who used to accept minute of pie plate from a hunting rifle are demanding off the rack guns shoot out to 600+ yards sub-MOA. Their barrels won't survive old cleaning methods and mistreatment as long not because any thing has actually changed, just they used to accept a lower accuracy standard for longer.
Great points! Sums up my thoughts and feelings exactly! So many options right now…my wife would say too many, as my safe is bulging at the seams. But I say bring it on! I kinda like having specialized rifles; it's fun to work up loads and try new caliber/chambering options and different component combinations. If I had to choose the best or my favorite rifle/caliber, I couldn't right now—I would be paralyzed by indecision—I love them all.

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
RIFLES

26-INCH BARREL -- LEUPOLD SCOPE!

AMMO

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
The .264 Win Mag was and is still a great cartridge, actually even better these days with all the new goodies for the 6.5 calibers. As for the others in the short magnum class that is mentioned, let's not forget that Remington was far ahead of the curve with the 6.5 Remington Mag... and I might add, a spectacular cartridge in a 24" inch plus barrel, of course, their mistake was bringing it out originally in a carbine version. I had a Remington 700 BDL in 6.5 Remington Mag just after it came out in the late 60's unbelievable accurate rifle for a game rifle. I think today the 6.5 Remington Mag could hold its own in the hunting and LR field with the best of them, we just need some good brass, "hear that Remington" I sold that Mod-700 and have regretted it ever since, but I digress... the other 6.5 cartridges are proven winners as 6.5's as the 6.5's goes, but... it's not a new idea, just new marketing.

I wouldn't be too quick too say the 6.5 prc want get close too the 264 win mag the prc isn't overbore the 264 win mag is on all the 264 win mags I've had experience with they have a lot of free bore personally I don't like that . Is it a great cartridge you bet I know for a fact I can load neck and neck too the 264winmag with light 125 gr bullets the heavies ,the 264 might have a edge but not much I have 2 prcs and haven't had any problems with either I'm running one on a long action and one on a short they work for me I guess my reloading experience helps me along the way or maybe I'm just lucky.
When I built my .264, I had it throated for a 140 Speer Gold Dot seated to the base of the neck. Overall length is 3.460" and velocity is 3277 for 5 shots with Ramshot LRT in a 26" Wilson Barrel. I don't think a PRC or a 6.5 SAUM will quite run with that.

When I built my .264, I had it throated for a 140 Speer Gold Dot seated to the base of the neck. Overall length is 3.460" and velocity is 3277 for 5 shots with Ramshot LRT in a 26" Wilson Barrel. I don't think a PRC or a 6.5 SAUM will quite run with that.
I'm running close too 3500 fps with the 123 gr Hammers 63.5 gr s N165 I'm shooting for 3600 fps today if I have time at my range with N560 and 109 Hammers any thing Heavier I'll do it with the 280

The PRC is just another hyped up failure made by Hornady. It offers no advantage over existing rounds…..much like it's big brother.
Doesn't come close to either the 264WM or 6.5 WSM or 6.5 SAUM.
If you want fast and accuracy, the 6.5-300 Weatherby is the real deal.

Cheers.
Factory ammo would be an advantage for the majority of hunters who do not reload. Also, good luck finding a 6.5 WSM on the shelf at sportsmans. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6.5 SAUM and the 6.5-284 but the PRC definitely does have some advantages - Lapua Brass, ADG Brass, Hornady Brass. Many companies are starting to chamber for it as well, including Tikka which is going to be a huge hit. To call it a failure has to be a joke, it has tremendous support so far and in my opinion isn't going anywhere for quite a while. If you clarified your post to say "offers no velocity advantage" then you may have an arguing point, but to say there is absolutely no advantage doesn't make much sense.

Don't forget about the 6.5/300 weatherby

Trappercb ,my take is 6.5 wsm ,(6.5 leopard) why more performance, very low maintenance n 270 wsm Brass, no fire form no b.s.,super nice rd. Works from 95s to 140s

The SS. I do not have the clicker issue and am getting 3024 FPS (24" tube) with the Berger 156 and 153.5 pills, no pressure issues and single digit SD and ES 1/4 MOA if I do my part. Will fit in a "true" SA as well and the bullet is perfect BT junction in line with neck/shoulder junction.
I may have missed it along the way, but what powder are you using with these heavy bullets?

Factory ammo would be an advantage for the majority of hunters who do not reload. Also, good luck finding a 6.5 WSM on the shelf at sportsmans. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6.5 SAUM and the 6.5-284 but the PRC definitely does have some advantages - Lapua Brass, ADG Brass, Hornady Brass. Many companies are starting to chamber for it as well, including Tikka which is going to be a huge hit. To call it a failure has to be a joke, it has tremendous support so far and in my opinion isn't going anywhere for quite a while. If you clarified your post to say "offers no velocity advantage" then you may have an arguing point, but to say there is absolutely no advantage doesn't make much sense.
We'll see where it is in 5 or so years….

Cheers.