6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
I have and really like the PRC with the 153.5/156 and H1000 it really works. Hits a lot harder than the Creedmoor

I've been running a 6.5 saum for awhile and am very impressed with it.
I looked into the prc but it offers nothing over a 6.5x284 at 68 grains case capacity, and the saum outruns it by nearly 100 fps.
The only thing I don't like is trimming Brass! These short high performance 6.5s with 30 degree shoulders need trimmed every 3 firings.
I would go with a 6.5 Sherman max for the case growth fix alone, I believe ADG formed brass is available now
I have 6x on hornady brass for a test. Zero need to trim.
I have/had 7 6.5-284's. My PRC easily out performs my 284's, especially in a short barrel. Easily 100 fps faster. I had a saum. Similar performance.

Not a PRC hater, but my 6.5x284 runs a 143gr at 2960fps at short action length (3") from a 24" barrel with RL23 and isn't compressed. It's still over 2000fps and 1400ft lbs at 700yds. The PRC may outrun that, but not by enough where the difference is substantial.
Not a lot different. No animal will know the difference. I run the 153.5 at 2975fps. In my PRC.

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
I went with the 6.5 WBY RPM (lengthened 6.5x284) instead of the .264 Win. Mag. It offers about the same performance (maybe a touch more) without the pesky belt or the need for a magnum action. I'm not done with load development but mine shoots the 127 LRX factory load into 1 ragged hole so I'm expecting great things—

I'm a fan of the 6.5 GAP; however, it's only advantage over the RPM is using a short action.

Not a PRC hater, but my 6.5x284 runs a 143gr at 2960fps at short action length (3") from a 24" barrel with RL23 and isn't compressed. It's still over 2000fps and 1400ft lbs at 700yds. The PRC may outrun that, but not by enough where the difference is substantial.
This is true. That is about where I ran my 284's as well. It's a fine fine cartridge. My 18" PRC runs a 143 at 2925. My 22" PRC runs a 143 at 3030. Add 50 fps to those for a 24", which is what my neighbor runs in his rifle. They aren't that far off unless you want a SA and short barrel and then you kind of have to rethink it. My 28" 284's are really nice for speed and backing off the charge for longer barrel life. Easily getting 2000 rounds out of those.

They are all so similar in ballistics that I think it's more of a convenience thing for me. If you want a turn key rifle, then get a PRC. Seems like it has the most factory support right now with rifle selection and good ammo offerings. If you want to go through a little more work finding brass or doing brass prep then get a SAUM and enjoy an extra 100 fps.

I have and really like the PRC with the 153.5/156 and H1000 it really works. Hits a lot harder than the Creedmoor
True, until you use RL26 in the Creed. I got the 143 ELDX over 3000 fps with RL26 in my Creed. Settled on a very accurate load at 2954 fps. Kinda irritated me since I run the same bullet at 2999 fps in my 6.5-284, which is now redundant. Love my 6.5-284, but looking at doing something else with it since I have basically the same ballistics in my Creed.
As stated, the 6.5 RPM is really a great newer offering that pretty much gives you 264 Win performance. The 6.5 GAP(SAUM) is awesome, too. It's nice to have options. If you want a flamethrower, it's the 26 Nosler or 6.5-300 Weatherby, otherwise all the other options are very similar in performance but factory ammo and brass offerings are the difference. McWhorter makes a 6.5 Weatherby chambering which is just a 257 Weatherby necked up to a 6.5. It's a great cartridge.
When my barrel is done on my long action 6.5-284, I think I'm going to convert it to a 6.5-280 AI. Easy conversion with a bushing die, lots of good brass options, don't have to change my bolt face, and pretty much 264 Win performance with less powder.

I have been fallowing this thread pretty close and have been left wondering why someone with a SAUM based wildcat doesn't chime in.
It would seem to me that with the majority of us site members being reloaders that something like the 6.5 SS or 6.6 MAX be considered, being a saum based case and brass availability. I'm more of a 6mm and 7mm fan and don't have a dog in the race, just a question

I revisited the 264WM idea due to recent attempts by me for my 6.5-6.8 Western design. Which I feel is too large a case. However it now seems the 6.5 PRC Improved to a 40 Degree Shoulder is most likely the best idea thus far. It still has not eclipsed the .264 for ease and availability. Begging your pardon Gentleman as I didn't mention the 6.5-284 vs 6.5PRC. I had no idea the debate between 6.5-284 vs 6.5PRC was so fierce. The 6.5RPM has been in use across the pond under a different name for well over a decade, and was not accepted here. ( Illustration for grins and giggles and is not an accurate depiction. )
i dont think you should give up on a 6.5 western so easy and there is no reason to improve it. I am getting ready to do my second barrel first was a used rechambered for just some testing. case capacity with necked down rem 300 saum brass is 76.2 gr. and 147 and 153 hornadys in the upper 3100 fps pretty easily with H1000 at low pressures and still fit in short action, going long action and loading to 3.1 oal didnt gain much because the extra velocity was outside the node and too hot to make next node with shortened case life.
case life with the rem brass has been good so far if you count the fireform load i have 6 reloads and no clicker issues and tight primers even with some pretty warm loads with RL-26 and ramshot magnum that went into the 3200 fps

I have been fallowing this thread pretty close and have been left wondering why someone with a SAUM based wildcat doesn't chime in.
It would seem to me that with the majority of us site members being reloaders that something like the 6.5 SS or 6.6 MAX be considered, being a saum based case and brass availability. I'm more of a 6mm and 7mm fan and don't have a dog in the race, just a question
I started with the PRC, then rechambered to the 6.5SS. Very happy with the results.