6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

For anyone claiming the prc does anything new that some of the others don't here's a few facts to consider. 6.5x284 case capacity is 66.8 grains with lapua brass, has a 35 degree shoulder and minimal taper. Also brass is available everywhere, try finding any prc The 6.5 PRC is 68 grains with Lapua brass, has a 30 degree shoulder which is less ideal in terms of case growth and has clicker issues with factory reamers. There's no way 1.2 grains capacity advantage translates into any real world speed advantage, at best maybe 30-50 fps all things equal The 6.5 saum however has a capacity of 73 grains, and the velocity advantage over both of the others is more pronounced. Albeit still fairly minor at 100-150 fps All good choices in this redundant 6.5 aren. It's definitely not worth arguing over I have several of both the prc out runs the 6.5 284 100 too 150 fps with ease I'm housing a 123 gr hammer over 3450 fps as close as I have got so far with either of my 6.5 284s is 3340 fps the prc is a very strong case the only way I can get that close too the prc is with Lapua brass . What I do like about my 6.5 -284s I can year one bushing die and comp 284 seater for the 284 win 6.5 -284 and the 25-284 neck 6.5 Lapua brass up or down . All that being said I also like both of my 6.5 prcs or 6.5 anything

For anyone claiming the prc does anything new that some of the others don't here's a few facts to consider.

6.5x284 case capacity is 66.8 grains with lapua brass, has a 35 degree shoulder and minimal taper.
Also brass is available everywhere, try finding any prc

The 6.5 PRC is 68 grains with Lapua brass, has a 30 degree shoulder which is less ideal in terms of case growth and has clicker issues with factory reamers.

There's no way 1.2 grains capacity advantage translates into any real world speed advantage, at best maybe 30-50 fps all things equal

The 6.5 saum however has a capacity of 73 grains, and the velocity advantage over both of the others is more pronounced.
Albeit still fairly minor at 100-150 fps

All good choices in this redundant 6.5 arena
Hmmm…I alway had trouble getting 59 grains of RETUMBO in a 6.5-284 case without serious compression. Got plenty of room in the PRC case for 59 grains and then some. Sure the 284 version is a fine cartridge but 1.2 grains difference is very optimistic.

If they are the same bullet, if it starts faster doesn't it out run it from the muzzle to the ground if fired at the same elevation?

From the muzzle to the target. 100'sec might not be much but when you can get 100'sec more in a short action and shorter barrel, it's tough to overlook. The PRC is everything the 6.5-284 was talked up to be.
Nope that's not how bullets work.
If a bullet requires 1800 fps for adequate upset then they're equal to 1800fps. The distance The faster bullet retains 1800 fps is the difference and it's usually insignificant and at pretty extreme distances. In the case of the prc and 147 eld m the 6.5-284= 830 yards, prc= 910 yards.( oooh 80 whole yards and 1 click of wind 4.5 moa v 4.75)
In the age of range finders and accurately dialing scopes its super moot.
Also short actions earn you exactly nothing theyre a miniscule weight difference and a bunch of internet rumors(faster bolt cycling, stiffer) that don't count for anything. Plenty of good medium actions out as well.
Edge goes to the 6.5-284 since it doesn't have clickers and need a reamer to fix.

If a bullet requires 1800 fps for adequate upset then they're equal to 1800fps. The distance The faster bullet retains 1800 fps is the difference and it's usually insignificant and at pretty extreme distances. In the case of the prc and 147 eld m the 6.5-284= 830 yards, prc= 910 yards.( oooh 80 whole yards and 1 click of wind 4.5 moa v 4.75)
Also short actions earn you exactly nothing theyre a miniscule weight difference and a bunch of internet rumors(faster bolt cycling, stiffer) that don't count for anything. Plenty of good medium actions out as well.
Edge goes to the 6.5-284 since it doesn't have clickers and need a reamer to fix.
You're just jealous

And to be very fair to you, my reply regarding the 100'sec, I certainly didn't mean it would maintain 100'sec advantage throughout its flight. Just that it would be faster all the way to their destination. I agree, poor choice of words on my part. Correct, they won't be 100'sec different at LR but that extra 100'# of down range energy delivered sure doesn't hurt. Other than the target of course. LA versus SA is largely personal preference. As an aging man who hunts dall sheep annually, that extra 5/8", additional weight even a few ounces and a little more for a longer rail along with 2" extra barrel, adds up for mobility and handling. It's important to me even if a SA means nothing to you.

Last edited:
I see your point, but you made my point. Hussien Bolt was only .075 seconds and 1.5 feet ahead of the next guy. Small differences only matter when they matter.

I see your point, but you made my point. Hussien Bolt was only .075 seconds and 1.5 feet ahead of the next guy. Small differences only matter when they matter.
Nope they don't matter. A track analogy is less than useless in the discussion of balistics as well.
You simply can't make stuff extra dead and if you need to justify a certain cartridges value in terms of tens of yards then it has no additional value. Your essentially comparing two identical cartridges and claiming one superior, it ain't- neither are superior to the other, both are perfectly fine cartridges capable at delivering bullets at generally the same effective range

Cats Fighting GIFs | Tenor

Last edited:
Nope they don't matter. A track analogy is less than useless in the discussion of balistics as well.
You simply can't make stuff extra dead and if you need to justify a certain cartridges value in terms of tens of yards then it has no additional value. Your essentially comparing two identical cartridges and claiming one superior, it ain't- neither are superior to the other, both are perfectly fine cartridges capable at delivering bullets at generally the same effective range
I aint sayin it's better. It's just faster. You said it was holding 1800 FPS 80 yards further. My point with the track analogy was just that if you crawl to the edge of the cliff and your shot is 900 yards, per your math the 80 yards matters. (I hope that is a more applicable analogy). They all perform. It comes down to what you like in a case.

I revisited the 264WM idea due to recent attempts by me for my 6.5-6.8 Western design. Which I feel is too large a case. However it now seems the 6.5 PRC Improved to a 40 Degree Shoulder is most likely the best idea thus far. It still has not eclipsed the .264 for ease and availability. Begging your pardon Gentleman as I didn't mention the 6.5-284 vs 6.5PRC. I had no idea the debate between 6.5-284 vs 6.5PRC was so fierce. The 6.5RPM has been in use across the pond under a different name for well over a decade, and was not accepted here. ( Illustration for grins and giggles and is not an accurate depiction. )

Attachments

• 6.5 GAF.jpg
    6.5 GAF.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: