6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

The PRC is just another hyped up failure made by Hornady. It offers no advantage over existing rounds…..much like it's big brother.
Doesn't come close to either the 264WM or 6.5 WSM or 6.5 SAUM.
If you want fast and accuracy, the 6.5-300 Weatherby is the real deal.

Cheers.

I followed some of those threads.But I saw a Defiance proof build 24''w/ braked ,finished at 6#,not much time on it but love the shorter handy size.4'' less than my main rifle,if im doing some timber deer,varmits cant wait.Im using Hornady brass on purpose because Brent on here,had less issue for sizing and clickers.The run a reamer in if real problem.So that route Ill go but should be a bit before it would show up I hope.Im not going to really step on it .I have a 257 wby,and 338NM my main stick.Im finding Hornady match bullets real easy and have 3 box factory.Might have to dip into my Retumbo to feed it,scored some RCBS,matchmaster dies.

The PRC is just another hyped up failure made by Hornady. It offers no advantage over existing rounds…..much like it's big brother.
Doesn't come close to either the 264WM or 6.5 WSM or 6.5 SAUM.
If you want fast and accuracy, the 6.5-300 Weatherby is the real deal.

Cheers.
I mainly am looking at accuracy first then speed, wanting one that is good for 800 + yards. I have a 28 Nosler that is good for 1000+ for anything in North America.

I mainly am looking at accuracy first then speed, wanting one that is good for 800 + yards. I have a 28 Nosler that is good for 1000+ for anything in North America.
I wouldn't be too quick too say the 6.5 prc want get close too the 264 win mag the prc isn't overbore the 264 win mag is on all the 264 win mags I've had experience with they have a lot of free bore personally I don't like that . Is it a great cartridge you bet I know for a fact I can load neck and neck too the 264winmag with light 125 gr bullets the heavies ,the 264 might have a edge but not much I have 2 prcs and haven't had any problems with either I'm running one on a long action and one on a short they work for me I guess my reloading experience helps me along the way or maybe I'm just lucky.

I wouldn't be too quick too say the 6.5 prc want get close too the 264 win mag the prc isn't overbore the 264 win mag is on all the 264 win mags I've had experience with they have a lot of free bore personally I don't like that . Is it a great cartridge you bet I know for a fact I can load neck and neck too the 264winmag with light 125 gr bullets the heavies ,the 264 might have a edge but not much I have 2 prcs and haven't had any problems with either I'm running one on a long action and one on a short they work for me I guess my reloading experience helps me along the way or maybe I'm just lucky.
Can you tell me how many reloads you are on with the PRC? I understand after three you have issues with the dies not getting it sized down far enough from chamber size.

Personally, I think the 6.5 RPM is the best design of all those mentioned. Near identical capacity to the 264 WM, no belt, and no Magnum bolt needed. Easy conversion for any '06 type rifle. Only drawback is brass is only available from one source, but, it has been available for the most part.

Can you tell me how many reloads you are on with the PRC? I understand after three you have issues with the dies not getting it sized down far enough from chamber size.
Maybe 3 on some brass but I'm running hot loads I just don't see the issues no more than any other cartridge if it becomes a issue I'll figure it out as far as the Rpm6.5 once again freebore I like too have the option loading too the lands and backing off the prc did have 3 diff throatings I think.130 .188 and .145 the .188 is too long for some mag boxes I custom built mine .145 .130 will put you jammed with factory 143 gr eldx Too my knowledge .188 is factory that's one thing you might ask a gunsmith or someone too verify what I'm posting this info is off the top of my head good luck on your decision

Maybe 3 on some brass but I'm running hot loads I just don't see the issues no more than any other cartridge if it becomes a issue I'll figure it out as far as the Rpm6.5 once again freebore I like too have the option loading too the lands and backing off the prc did have 3 diff throatings I think.130 .188 and .145 the .188 is too long for some mag boxes I custom built mine .145 .130 will put you jammed with factory 143 gr eldx Too my knowledge .188 is factory that's one thing you might ask a gunsmith or someone too verify what I'm posting this info is off the top of my head good luck on your decision
When I said three my brass still has a way too go haven't lost a primer pocket yet .,Hornady brass but prefer Lapua maybe in due time when all this shortage is over

My 6.5-284 runs 140 Bergers at 3072 with a 26" barrel. It is on a long action and 26" tube. I've had it over 3100 but it's more accurate where I typically run it.

The problem with the PRC as I see it is, everyone like to tour factory ammo but it is very limited at best and most of it is match ammo. There are very few hunting rounds available as factory loads.

My 6.5-284 runs 140 Bergers at 3072 with a 26" barrel. It is on a long action and 26" tube. I've had it over 3100 but it's more accurate where I typically run it.

The problem with the PRC as I see it is, everyone like to tour factory ammo but it is very limited at best and most of it is match ammo. There are very few hunting rounds available as factory loads.
Even fewer options with the 6.5-284. With or without ammo shortages.

The 6.5-284 is a fine cartridge I have been a 6.5 284 fan before Norma ever recognized it .It will pretty much do any thing that can be done with a 6.5 bullet especially with Lapua brass . I like 6.5 anything

For anyone claiming the prc does anything new that some of the others don't here's a few facts to consider.

6.5x284 case capacity is 66.8 grains with lapua brass, has a 35 degree shoulder and minimal taper.
Also brass is available everywhere, try finding any prc

The 6.5 PRC is 68 grains with Lapua brass, has a 30 degree shoulder which is less ideal in terms of case growth and has clicker issues with factory reamers.

There's no way 1.2 grains capacity advantage translates into any real world speed advantage, at best maybe 30-50 fps all things equal

The 6.5 saum however has a capacity of 73 grains, and the velocity advantage over both of the others is more pronounced.
Albeit still fairly minor at 100-150 fps

All good choices in this redundant 6.5 arena

Recent Posts