6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

Wild Monkey

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )

IMHO, they're all usable. I prefer the PRC. Multiple good brass options and other average brass options too. A reasonable amount of factory ammo options are manufactured too. Factory ammo is readily available. Maybe not during the current crisis but at least they're on the roster. No fire forming or necking down. It isn't magical but neither are the other two options you listed but it's convenient and checks all the boxes for me. The short action (with extended box mag) and 24" barrel combo seems to be a sweet spot that is tough to beat for weight, mobility and efficiency. The ballistic performance to recoil ratio is phenomenal with these cartridges.

Brass options and availability for the 6.5 WM leave plenty to be desired. Plus it seems as if you want to take advantage of the higher capacity case and longer burn column, longer barrels make it shine. And of course a long action is the only option. Not a problem if you don't care but personally, I prefer a SA where possible. No real factory rifle options. Little to no factory ammo options.

6.5 SAUM. It was the best thing going for a short fat case until the other contender came out in the same class. But it's still a wildcat with limited brass options unless you want no neck down. No real options for rifles or ammo.

A lot of guys hate the PRC because it's nothing new because there were already options available. IMO, the concepts of them were great but the execution of them for the average shooter was a fail and flop. Hornady came up with a comparable offering with factory ammo options and factory rifles chambered. They developed the sweet spots for loads and produce all of the above. When things are available, you can go buy a factory rifle, scope, rail, rings and a few ammo options and you will likely have a fairly decent setup with minimal work in the same day. Not quite a turn key arrangement but a lot more turn key than the others. Complain all you want but Hornady did a good job. It may not offer any ballistic advantage compared to the other two but they did the whole package from A-Z in a pretty attractive package. If you thumb your nose at Hornady for marketing ploys, then by all means, go with the WM or SAUM.

Stumbling around into all these old threads I decided a why not thread is in order. Lets compare the three Cartridges. Specify Necked down 7mm Rem Mag Brass for the .264 against the PRC and SAUM of the same Caliber. Who's got the skinny? ( I don't have any PRC or SAUM Brass anyway )
I've been running a 6.5 saum for awhile and am very impressed with it.
I looked into the prc but it offers nothing over a 6.5x284 at 68 grains case capacity, and the saum outruns it by nearly 100 fps.
The only thing I don't like is trimming Brass! These short high performance 6.5s with 30 degree shoulders need trimmed every 3 firings.
I would go with a 6.5 Sherman max for the case growth fix alone, I believe ADG formed brass is available now

I've been running a 6.5 saum for awhile and am very impressed with it.
I looked into the prc but it offers nothing over a 6.5x284 at 68 grains case capacity, and the saum outruns it by nearly 100 fps.
The only thing I don't like is trimming Brass! These short high performance 6.5s with 30 degree shoulders need trimmed every 3 firings.
I would go with a 6.5 Sherman max for the case growth fix alone, I believe ADG formed brass is available now
Everything is available for the Max and I usually have more on the shelves than the saami stuff except loaded ammo.

So many PRC haters claim it doesn't do anything the 6.5-284 doesn't. Lol. Try running a 6.5-284 in a SA with a 24" barrel. Heck the PRC outruns the 284 version in SA and 24" even with the 6.5-284 in a LA with a 26" barrel.
At what distance does it outrun the 6.5-284 and for how much further?

So many PRC haters claim it doesn't do anything the 6.5-284 doesn't. Lol. Try running a 6.5-284 in a SA with a 24" barrel. Heck the PRC outruns the 284 version in SA and 24" even with the 6.5-284 in a LA with a 26" barrel.
Not a PRC hater, but my 6.5x284 runs a 143gr at 2960fps at short action length (3") from a 24" barrel with RL23 and isn't compressed. It's still over 2000fps and 1400ft lbs at 700yds. The PRC may outrun that, but not by enough where the difference is substantial.

I've been running necked down 7RM brass in my 264's for years.
In Australia, we haven't had ANY 264WM brass or loaded ammo for a very long time.
The only issue I have seen is some necks become a little thick, but if you go slow enough it can be avoided. I have never lost a case doing so and the brass lasts just like any other.
My love for the 6.5mm started when I got my first 6.5x55 Swede in the early 90's. It was a spoterized Mauser '96 Carl Gustav built rifle with 4 groove 7 1/4" twist 24" barrel. Used it for military match comp with the Swede match ammo. It was superbly accurate making hits at 500 quite easy.
I still have a barrel blank sitting in my shop rough chambered for 6.5-284Norma that hasn't seen the light of day for some time. I didn't go with it because it will finish at 26" and not the 30" I prefer…..One day.

Cheers.

At what distance does it outrun the 6.5-284 and for how much further?
From the muzzle to the target. 100'sec might not be much but when you can get 100'sec more in a short action and shorter barrel, it's tough to overlook. The PRC is everything the 6.5-284 was talked up to be.

From the muzzle to the target. 100'sec might not be much but when you can get 100'sec more in a short action and shorter barrel, it's tough to overlook. The PRC is everything the 6.5-284 was talked up to be.
I've got 2 of each and I like my 6.5 -284s or for that mater 284 anything ,but the prc will outrun the6.5-284 .If you really want too run fast put a light weight 25 cal on top of either one

I've got 2 of each and I like my 6.5 -284s or for that mater 284 anything ,but the prc will outrun the6.5-284 .If you really want too run fast put a light weight 25 cal on top of either one
I love the 284 case in general as well. One of my favorites. If the PRC hadn't come out when it did, I would have rebarreled my last 6.5-284 with another one after I torched it out. Now the long action that was my 6.5-284 is at the smith waiting for him to install a new 284 Win 8.25 twist. My PRC is a whole other rifle. Between the two, I prefer the PRC but it's only my preference. I don't feel handicapped at all with the 6.5-284.

Not a PRC hater, but my 6.5x284 runs a 143gr at 2960fps at short action length (3") from a 24" barrel with RL23 and isn't compressed. It's still over 2000fps and 1400ft lbs at 700yds. The PRC may outrun that, but not by enough where the difference is substantial.
There's nothing wrong with that right there. I never felt handicapped with the 6.5-284. I just outgrew it.