6.5mm - 25cal = .007"

First, hats off to everyone pushing the limits of the 25. We'll learn more because of what you are doing.
But daggon gents, alot of weight is being placed upon one bullet.
For instance, I ran a ballistic calc of a .257 bullet, weight 131 grs., .661 G1 BC, leaving the barrel at 2950 fps. It arrives at a 500 yard target with 1480 ft. lbs of energy. In a 10 mph crosswind, it will drift approximately 12.7".
A .264 bullet, weight 130 grs. .571 G1 BC, leaving the barrel at 3200 fps. Arriving on a 500 yard target with 1627 ft. lbs of energy with 13.4" inches of drift in a 10 mph crosswind.
Are you comparing apples to apples? What cartridge is running a 130 at 3200? Is it a 6.5 Creedmoor or x47?

Blackjack has proof of kills on deer at 800+ and elk at 500+

Furthermore, why are we using G1 coefficients on boat tail bullets?

Last edited:
agreed, level the speed field, not really fair to push the 6.5 200fps faster and from a magnum and still compare it. but in the competitive world less drift is less drift. energy on target is a non-issue these days with target flashers. allow the 257 131 the same cartridge capacity and it'll walk all over the 6.5 in every aspect of on target performance. Heck, you could wildcat the 264WM into a 257WM and then we'd be playing ball. That would make an amazing LR medium game rig.

If your comparing apples to apples if you have a 131 bj bullet then you have to go to the 150smk or 147 eld as those are the highest bc bullets for each class. I feel 3000 fps with h4350 with the 131 in a 25 creed is a bit optimistic and probably a fairly warm load. If it was rl-26 then I'd absolutely believe it. Running a 131 at 3000 fps and a 150 smk at 2800-2850, your never going to notice any real advantages over one or the other. Comparable wind drift, energy goes to the 6.5, trajectory goes to the 25 and recoil. although with a brake, then again you'd never know the difference. This new 25 cal bullet isnt earth shattering, but it just gives us another option if we like. Only time will tell where this heads. If any of the bigger major bullet manufacturers start building bullets like the 131 then I might build one, but i wont build a whole entire setup around just one bullet. each his own. Cheers fellas

talking about energy on target in the steel game. also, with the advent of modern hunting bullets, energy alone isn't the end all be all of cartridge performance. it seems that every day we read on here about someone killing and elk at 1000yds with a creedmoor, which, from and energy standpoint, is pretty sketchy. we can all agree it's a case by case issue with all things being considered by the builder for their intended purpose.

Are you comparing apples to apples? What cartridge is running a 130 at 3200? Is it a 6.5 Creedmoor or x47?

Last edited:
talking about energy on target in the steel game. also, with the advent of modern hunting bullets, energy alone isn't the end all be all of cartridge performance. it seems that every day we read on here about someone killing and elk at 1000yds with a creedmoor, which, from and energy standpoint, is pretty sketchy. we can all agree it's a case by case issue with all things being considered by the builder for their intended purpose.
Wasn't talking about steel.
They've got the data on their website. Not sure why you've got such a malice towards the blackjack bullet. Once my barrel gets in I'll be sure to share my findings and put up or shut up.
I have no malice towards anything. And look forward to it (when you get your barrel).
What model chronograph do you have?

Last edited:
Please, I'm not anti any cartridge. There were plenty that told me the 338 Lapua couldn't hang with a 50 at 2000 yards. So kinda got that part. Just asking questions, have shot both 25's & 6.5's in the field for a long time. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Who in the world uses a solid to hunt with?.

We do and these animals hate solids, DSC01568 (2).JPG DSC00944.JPG also!

Just FYI... My 264 Win Mag runs the 130 Scirocco II at 3230 across the Oehler 35 P three screen. Puts them in a half hole group. And its put a few elk down.

Last edited: