6.5mm - 25cal = .007"

Sure we would. The 257 Roberts is a good round. The 25-06 just ballisticaly out performs the 257R. FYI the 6.5-06 is a round and has little to no following.
That's because it wasn't chambered in 1970 rather than the 25.
Oh well, Ford vs Chevy, right!
Don't get me wrong, I love the 25-06. I bought one of the first ones produced in a 700 BDL and killed literally tons of game. Just saying!

Last edited:
That's because it wasn't chambered in 1970 rather than the 25.
Oh well, Ford vs Chevy, right!

Pretty much, except I refuse to own an obama motors vehicle. About the time Chevy and gm pay the tax payers back with interest is the day I may consider buying one. The day a cartridge is Sammi approved has little to do with popularity. Just look at the creedmore cartridges. I still don't understand their popularity lol.

Look at the BC's of the most popular 6.5 bullets and then try to find a 25 cal bullet that's even close?

The Swift Scirocco and Nosler Partition would be 2 but the only 2 that I have for my 257Roberts and 25-06.
All of the input has been great. As usual, there are many opinions and all of them have some value.

Easy. It lacks 0.007" bore/bullet diameter.

And a dearth of bullet availability.

And factory barrels most suitable for stabilizing varmint weight bullets.

All and all, makes the 257 a good gopher rifle and mid-range mid-sized game rifle, unless a guy goes after-market barrels and custom bullets.

An uphill climb, a swim against the tide, for guys focusing on LRH.

Based on ballistics alone, separate from the pronghorn, deer, caribou and elk my wife has taken with her 1950 Rem 722 in 257Rbts, it easily surpasses the 243 and has some good velocity/energy for up to moderately long shots on most big game. The 25-06 stands on its' own without doubt. It does have less bullet selection also, without doubt. I'm glad I'm seeing enough good bullets to do the job, including some good solid copper offerings. Thank god for handloading...

Based on ballistics alone, separate from the pronghorn, deer, caribou and elk my wife has taken with her 1950 Rem 722 in 257Rbts, it easily surpasses the 243 and has some good velocity/energy for up to moderately long shots on most big game. The 25-06 stands on its' own without doubt. It does have less bullet selection also, without doubt. I'm glad I'm seeing enough good bullets to do the job, including some good solid copper offerings. Thank god for handloading...

I'm new to this forum, and have found this conversation very interesting.
I've hunted with 257R, 25.06 & 264 Win. The little Browning BLR 257 is fantastic in brush country, but not for longer shots. The 25.06 obviously better. The 264 Win even better yet. All are fun. Just my opinion.

Yup, I agree
The 131 Blackjack WILL shoot flatter and faster out of my 25 sst than anyone else's 140 will out of my 6.5 sst though!

What we need is for the shooting sports guys who see the 6 mm as not quite enough and the 6.5 as too much in the other direction; to pick up and start winning with the 131 Black Jacket and start demanding more and better .25" bullets.

Then I could change the barrel on my .25-06 and enjoy it even more.

Hmmm guess nothioning is stopping me from doing that now that we have the 131 BJ.

I'm kind of new, also, Welcome.
I shot my friend's 264WM for the first time at the range. Can't recall the brand but it had an old crappy hard plastic stock. Two shots. Two shots in one hole at 100 yards.

Yup, I agree
The 131 Blackjack WILL shoot flatter and faster out of my 25 sst than anyone else's 140 will out of my 6.5 sst though!
Rich, have you done any testing with the 150 smk? The 131 spanks just about any 140 out there there's no denying. The 150 however closes that gap significantly. I'm currently in load development with the 150 smk. What I've seen is promising. Just waiting for it to not be -5 outside:eek:

I'm kind of new, also, Welcome.
I shot my friend's 264WM for the first time at the range. Can't recall the brand but it had an old crappy hard plastic stock. Two shots. Two shots in one hole at 100 yards.
Both my 25.06 & 264 are model 70's, & they both shoot sub MOA.
Realizing the new 131 bests the 140's, but dang... I hate to mess with a rifle that shoots that good (meaning a re-barrel).

Last edited:
I love the 6.5 and .25. I have been shooting a 6.5x284 for almost 20 years and have had a lot of success with it. I recently built a 25-06 with a 1:7 twist barrel and I'm still in the load development stage, but its looking pretty good so far. Will it be any better than my 6.5...maybe, but I only really have 2 bullet choices right now Blackjack 131 and Hammer 128.