6.5mm 142 sierra mtch kings

Wachsmann

Well I was almost out of 140 bergers and was curious about the 142 sierra match kings. Couple of questions. I have the 6.5x284 norma. Anyone have any good load data? Bullet seating depth, velocity, powder and powder charge?. Has anyone used them on game (mule deer, white tail) and what did they think. Bad, good, ugly, is this bullet going to open up, does it explode, does it fragment like a berger? Thought I would try something different for fun. Also I found a 10 pack of the 129 LRAB that I going to see how these shoot in my gun. Summer fun...:rolleyes:

I used some 123 SMK in my 260 a couple seasons ago 250-300 yard shot buck went 20 yards BUT there was just a pin hole in and out I would not use them again on game not enough expansion for my liking just my thoughts though .

Seem like there aren't any fans of sierra on here. Well it will be my first time using them. Cabelas was out of the 140 berger which is my regular load.

I shot two deer a few years ago with the 142's out of a 6.5x284, same results as ramrod79, penciled right through.

I don't mind the SMKs for hunting but only in .284 or larger.

Chris

I did a search about an hour ago about annealing SMKs.
You can use the search bar upper right.
Seems like guys are taking game at lower velocities and using HEAVY 30 cal and over.

Sierra bullets are really easy to get to shoot well. I hope that they expand their tipped SMK line soon. That will help their usefulness on game.

I agree that SMKs are easy to get to shoot well. My first guess (50 thou off lands) usually does the trick and I just settle on the most accurate load after varying the powder charge. I also agree that the 6.5 SMKs are not game bullets.

I have and have seen about 10 animals ( oryx, elk, coues deer) shot Sierra match BT in 308 to 338 RUM. All died with good shot placement but 90% acted like FMJ's. I would not recommend them as a hunting bullet. Shoot great for the range but there are better hunting bullets available

Thanks for the all the info. So I will probably just use these over the summer for practice. I really want to get some ABLR in the 142's and try them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.